The Disclaimer

This was getting a lot easier than Alex thought it would. She was so in tune with herself around Noah. She didn't feel a need to fake it. She was so vibrant with smiles. She laughed at her own jokes, which Noah thought was "awkward!" Well, she didn't care. She could be herself and not worry about what anyone thought. Or could she?

They were heading to the bookstore. Alex couldn't wait to get her hands on books. Any book! Every book! She wasn't the type who read all day. She didn't have reading goals. She just did it when she felt like it. And she was perfectly okay with that. And of course, book covers mattered! A LOT! Shiny font or gold toned pages were a bonus! And the title mattered too. She just loved collecting them.

"Oh, hey. Look at this! Isn't this the new book that your friend from high school just released? Let's buy this. I've heard some great things about it."
"Whose book are you talking about?"
"Yolanda's. Your high school buddy."

Noah winked at her.

"Let's go."
"Huh? What? Aren't you buying anything?"
"No."

She just stormed out of the store as quickly as possible. Noah couldn't catch up with her. She was quite the athlete - very quick at walking that it almost seemed like running to him.

"Wow. Wait up! Have you got fire in your boots or something?"
"Stop joking."
"Okay. I was just trying to cheer you up. What's wrong?"
"Nothing."
"Of course. The usual."

Noah said this with a tone that Alex just walked even quicker and into the store.

"Can't you just be honest and tell me what's bothering you?"
"No. I don't have to."
"There's no need to be harsh. Are you hiding something from me? Or is this just nothing?"
"Everybody has secrets they don't want to tell! I bet you do too."

It felt like a slap on his face! He couldn't believe what she was saying. There was really no reason to be mean. She could've just said that it was personal. But he couldn't wrap his head around this.

"Just stay out of it. And don't ever ask me about this again."
"I don't even know what you're talking about Alex."
"I know."
"Even the fact that I'm still hanging around with you is a big deal. Considering the way you shut me off every time I try to help you."
"Noah. I don't need your lecture on anything. Let's just forget this happened. Okay?"

"I've a better way. Let's just forget that we even know each other."
"What's your problem?"
"You are your own problem. I don't have any problems. You need to deal with yourself first."
"Noah!"
"It's for the best Alex. I'm going away to my town for a few days. I hope we can sort things out when I return."
"But..."
"Goodbye, Alex. And don't worry. I won't get in your way anymore."