The Clouded Hope

She didn't feel like talking to him or even looking at him. She sat next to her mother who was sleeping at the moment.

"She's alright. You don't have to worry. But she'll have to rest for three months. Her left leg is not functioning properly at the moment. But it'll get better with some physiotherapy. traveling and you also need to feed her only homemade food."
"Yes doctor. I understand. I'll do whatever I can."
"Sure. And she can be taken home in a few weeks' time. Take care."
"Thank you."

She was wondering what she could do to reverse this incident. She wanted to go back in time and erase all of this pain.

Noah came in and stood silently. Watching her. Not saying anything. He didn't know what to say. She didn't want him here. She'd made that clear before.

"Can I bring you some food? It's about to be 10 'o' clock Alex. You should eat something."
"I'll eat later."
"I just want to help."

Silence.

I wish he would go away. What's the point in just standing there and staring at me? It's not like he can change this.

"Okay. I'll leave. I'll come back, but only if you want me to."

"Wait."
"Yeah?"
"Did you eat? I'm hungry."
"Come on. Let's go grab something quick."
"Okay."

She left reluctantly, leaving her mom with the nurse. It was difficult to see her in such a state. She didn't deserve this. Nobody did.

Alex lost her dad in a road accident. She could still remember the day. It wasn't very clear. She was only nine years old then. But he was her dad. And now her mom was suffering.

She never understood why they had to go through so many difficulties in their life. Her mom was a strong woman. And so was she. They knew everything would be better again. But it definitely hurt.

"So how's your dad?"
"Fine."
"Just fine? And your mom?"
"Just as well. Can we not talk about all this for now?"
"Okay."
"Do you want me to arrange the food everyday for mom?"
"No. It should be homemade. I'll make it"
"Where? Inside the hospital? Yeah. I've heard they've a great kitchen where you could cook up some delicious food. Mmmmm. Tasty."

She smiled, just a little bit.

"Oh for heaven's sake! Let me do the honours of serving you two just until she's discharged from here. Your majesty will not be disappointed."
"Okay. Your honour. You may cook meals for me and my mom. But I want you to eat with us as well."
"Your wish is my command."
"Haha."

They laughed heartily for a few minutes and forgot about all their worries. It felt good to just let go for a moment.

"Shall we head back now?"
"Aren't you going home?"
"Just for tonight. I'll stay. Unless you want me to leave."
"Stay. But there's no room for you inside."
"Oh. I'll manage. You don't have to worry about that."
"Okay then."
"Good night."
"Good night."

They parted their ways and Alex went back to her mom. She was thrilled to see her awake.

"Mom! Are you alright? How are you feeling?"
"Oh. I'm just fine."
"I'm sorry. Really."
"Oh honey. You don't have to apologize. I just need to lie down. My time will come soon. And then you'll have to be on your own."
"Stop it mom! The doctor said there's nothing to worry about. Be positive. You'll be alright."
"Hmm. Doctors don't know how we feel. I must sleep now. I'm quite tired."

She slept almost instantly like a baby. Alex couldn't believe what her mother had just said.

You're not going anywhere. I won't let you go. Ever.

She'd faith that everything will go smoothly. There was nothing that could happen to them anymore. She would take good care of her mom. And they'll go back home and everything will be as it used to be.

Or will it?