The Gift

Alex was so excited. Now that she and her new best friend had cleared the mess up, she could be happy again. She had bought the perfect gift that she could possibly think of. Noah's birthday was over for the year. It was six months ago. Back then they weren't friends. But everything was different now. They could confide in each other. They could be happy. They could hang out.

But the complicated girl that Alex was, she wasn't going to give the gift straightaway.

"So here we are. Do you see anything strange?"
"In your room? No. Why?"
"Look carefully Noah. Do you see any piece of paper lying around?"
"Uh. What about this one?"
"Take it. Read it."

There was a rose coloured paper on Alex's bedside table. Noah picked it up.

Where would you look if you were hungry?

"Answer it."
"Uh. I would look in the fridge. The kitchen."
Let's go then."
"Is this a treasure hunt?"
"Yup."

They went down to the kitchen and he searched for any kind of clue. There was a tiny bottle covered in glitter. He opened it and there was a tiny piece of paper in it.

What would you use to go home?

"My bicycle."
"Let's see."

Noah had parked his bicycle at a workshop next to Alex's home. They walked down there. Both of them were excited now. He found another piece of paper inside the basket that his bike had.

What's your favourite book that you want me to read?

"The Harry Potter Series."
"Let's get it then."
"Now? Where?"
"Where do you've it?"
"I borrowed it from the library."
"Let's go."
"It must be closed now."
"That's okay."

They cycled to the library. It was a windy night and Alex was enjoying it. They got there. And there was a big box in front of the library. Noah took it.

"Open it."
"Okay."
"I don't know much about cameras. But this is something new I believe. And I liked its price."

Alex winked at him. He couldn't believe what she had just done. She bought a camera! An expensive one! A new one!

"Alex! I don't know what to say. Why did you do this?"
"Why can't I help you when you can help me?"
"But that didn't cost anything. Me helping you."
"Of course it did. It cost you a lot of time and energy. And you taught me something valuable about friendships. I've never had a best friend before. You're the best ever!"

She hugged him so tight. Noah was so happy and confused all at the same time.

"Let's go have something to eat. I'm starving."
"Okay. I'll pay."
"Okay."

Noah was very quiet for a long time. He didn't say a word.

"What's it? Why are you so glum?"
"Nothing. I'm not glum. I just can't believe you did this."
"Just be happy. Take lots and lots of photos. I'll be your judge."
"Haha. Okay. Thanks Alex. I wish I could do something equally amazing for you."
"Don't embarrass me. And you're welcome."

She smiled her biggest smile and he smiled back. Nothing could ever go wrong now. This was the best day ever that they both had together.

But unexpected things happen so quickly, you never know. For now Alex was happy. And so was Noah.