The Dress

It was her big day at work. Alex had just published an article on the New York fashion week that got much attention. Her writing was always appreciated by her mom. She knew her daughter would become great someday. She was already great to her.

After reading the columns that Alex had written for the magazine she was invited by the editor of Vogue to drop by at their office. Alex was very nervous. She had to wear the right dress, the right amount of jewellery and makeup. She had to look perfect for this.

The previous day she'd gone shopping with her new best friend and colleague Laura. Laura was a sweet girl and had just joined the company after Alex.

As they entered the store Alex got really excited. This was the first time she was going to buy something really expensive. She'd saved up some money for this very day.

They went up and down the store looming at various options.

"Pantsuit?"
"Nah. Too forward."
"Jeans and t-shirt?"
"Too casual."
"Skirt?"
"Too.."
"Oh just help me pick something Laura!"
"Something? It...must...be...PERFECT!! Get it? Perfect Alex!"
"Alright alright. Calm down will you?"

"This one. This is it. This is the dress!"
"Oh no no no. It's too much."
"Try it on."
"But I've never worn anything like this before."
"So wear it now."

Laura was very keen on seeing Alex in this dress. It was a turquoise coloured asymmetrical dress embellished with gold sequins at the top. It was gorgeous but Alex was so scared she couldn't pull it off.

"My oh my! Look at you."
"Really?"
"Yes. No more procrastination. We're getting this. Come on."

On their way out Alex bumped into a man. It was not a random person on the street. It was Jacob. Alex apologised and walked away quickly. Jacob didn't call after her. She was relieved. This made her think of Noah.

Has he vanished forever? Were they never going to meet again?