The U-Turn

Two months later.

Jacob was a nice guy but he wasn't for Alex. He definitely didn't understand her. He just flirted and praised her. It was good for a while to go on dates with him. She felt guilty. But there wasn't anything else to do.

The time had passed when she was waiting for her boyfriend to come back. Noah had been gone for four months now. Where was he?

Alex worried for one month and waited for two. It was time to "move on" as she told her mom.

"You should call him honey. Maybe he's changed his number."
"If he did he should've called me."
"Oh. You young people get everything mixed up."
"Let's not talk about this."

"Okay then. I've a better idea."
"What is it mom?"
"We're moving."
"What? Where?"
"Africa."
"Have you lost your mind? How could we go to Africa? We can't leave our lives here. I've a job mom!"
"So. You can get a new job there."
"No."
"Then I'm moving out.
"Come on mom. You're not serious."
"Yes I am. I've a friend in England. I'm moving there. She's been feeling lonely since she losther husband. I think she needs company. I'll get out of your way. You can start a new life."

Alex was stunned. She had never seen her mother so confident about anything in life. She said everything with an air of pride.

"Mom! When were you planning all this?"
"Oh. It's been a month since I told Lisa I would come there to visit her."
"You can visit mom. Not move to England!"
"I've made my decision. You make yours."

Alex was so frustrated. But she loved her mom so dearly. After all she nearly "killed her." She felt obliged to agree with whatever she said.

"Okay. I'll come with you. For a visit. Just for a change."
"Great! Let's have a lovely vacation."
"But we're not moving there."
"We'll see."

It wasn't what she'd planned. She needed some fresh air. But change was good. Right?