Chapter Eleven

5/22/15

5/22/15

I'M DROWNING.

Drowning in lips, tongue, and teeth. Drowning in Cale.

I know I should pull away. I know this is wrong. I know he is engaged to my sister. I am aware of so much, but in this moment I only care about the taste of this man. It's been so long since I've tasted him I almost forgot the soft caress of his lips, the minty taste of him, and the overwhelming feeling of always wanting more from this man.

The realization that I want more is enough to send a shock through my system, and I jerk away from Cale. My hands pull out of his now deliciously tangled hair, and I take a couple steps back from him.

Ten agonizingly long seconds pass. We say nothing to each other, not one word passes as we just look. Our eyes are caught on each other, and the undeniable tension roars between us like the crackle of thunder just begging to release the rain from the clouds. And just like those clouds my body is begging for a release from Cale.

His hand runs a single finger over his lips before dropping his hand forcefully. His hand slaps against his jean-clad thigh and the moment is over. Our eyes break from each other, and air finally seems to make its way into the room again.

"I...umm..." I mumble unable to find the right words for this horrendous moment.

Cale runs a hand over his face in shock at what just transpired between the two of us. The high from the kiss we both shared is quickly coming down, and the feeling of dread is sinking in instead. If Bailey ever found out about this it would destroy her, destroy us. And all my fears about Cale breaking her are gone, and replaced with the fears that I will be the one to break her. That I will be the one that creates her heartbreak and fear to fall in love with any other man or to trust another woman.

The reason for her heartbreak can't be me. If I'm the reason for breaking her I will never recover.

"Gray, I'm sorry that should've never happened. I don't..." Cale trails trying to find the words to fix what just happened. But we can't fix it.

What we did is unfixable, and that's the scariest part.

I shake my head. "No, yeah," I agree awkwardly.

Cale takes a step back stumbling uncomfortably away from me. "I'm going to go upstairs and this can never—"

"Be mentioned," I finished for him. "I get it. Believe me, I get it Cale," I state as I turn to walk away from the kitchen I can now never look at again without picturing his hands on my body.

Cale's hand shoots out to grab onto my arm to stop me. "I'm sorry Gray. I'm drunk, and it was stupid, and it won't happen again," he swears.

I know it can't happen again, I am conscious of this. And yet at those words a pang of sadness shoots through me.