Chapter Twelve

5/25/15

5/25/15

"YOU READY?" I ask Bailey as she comes down the stairs.

It's been a little awkward between us for the last few days since I yelled at her. But Bailey has always been one to bounce back quickly. She's a forgive and forget type of person. I wish I had inherited that same gene.

A small smile spreads over her lips. "Yup, just lemme grab my purse."

She walks over to the hooks by the back door and grabs a light coat and her purse. She pushes her dark hair behind her ears, and motions me with a thumbs-up signal that she's ready.

I nod and we head out to my car.

Today is just going to be about Bailey and I. We haven't had anytime for just us and I feel as if I've lost touch with my sister. Having Cale around is definitely not helping our relationship grow. But I'm also not helping. I haven't stepped up as much I could have, but I am now.

I'm about to be the best goddamn sister and maid of honor ever.

"Turn on whatever you like," I say motioning to the radio. I pull out of the driveway and head towards downtown Easton.

She messes with the buttons for a minute before settling on some indie station.

"Thought you would've picked country," I joke.

"Well you don't know me very much anymore do you?" Her tone edges with annoyance.

My eyebrows rise in shock at her words. Not at her words exactly, but at the fact she even said them. Maybe Bailey is right. I don't know her much anymore. But I can mend that, and I can try harder. So that's what I'm going to do.

"You're right. I don't. But I would like to fix that Bai," I tell her earnestly.

It's now her turn to look shocked. She probably expected me to fight her but I'm done fighting. I'm done being immature, and I'm done living in the past.

"Let's just focus on today and have fun, okay?" I tell her.

I flick on the turn signal and turn right and head towards a strip of restaurants. I park outside this little Italian place. It's our favorite, or it used to be.

"Do you still like Abbiocco?" I double check knowing I shouldn't assume much anymore with Bailey.

She nods with the touch of a smile on her lips. "Of course."

We climb out of the car and head in to the old restaurant. When we first started coming down to Easton our family fell across this tiny hole in the wall. As soon as we walked in the owner Adela, a small sixty-year-old woman, wrapped Bailey and I in her arms and fed us until we were stuffed. She's like a grandmother to us, and no matter how long we are gone for she treats us as if no time has passed.

As soon as we step in, Adela's daughter Clara rushes over. "Bailey! Grayson! Oh it's been too long!" Her long dark hair, and beautiful chocolate eyes beam as she takes us in. She's beyond gorgeous, and is the spitting image of her mother when Adela was young.