Chapter Twenty-Eight

8/4/15

8/4/15

"UGH, I CAN'T believe you're leaving," I groan as I stand in the entryway of my house with Hayley and her bag lying by my feet.

I wrap my arms around her neck and pull her in close. She chuckles as her arms do the same to me.

"I'll see you in less than a week!" she says with a smile as she pulls away.

I nod. "I know, I know," I concede. "But I'll still miss you," I say with a small shrug.

"Same G," she admits to me.

"Thanks for coming again," I say as I pull at her duffel before handing it over to Hayley. I needed my best friend more than I even knew after my awful fall out with Bailey, and even the other night with Cale. She is my rock, and I love her for that.

"Anytime," she says as if it's nothing. "I loved getting to meet everyone," she tells me earnestly.

I roll my eyes jokingly. "You mean Chase," I tease.

Hayley shakes her head. "Chase is a cutie, but for some reason I wasn't feeling it," she says with the scrunch of her nose.

"Maybe you weren't his type," I say with a smirk.

She tosses her long hair over her shoulder and throws me one of her million dollar smiles. "Please Gray," she says with a raised brow. "I'm everyone's type."

I laugh though I know she's speaking the truth. She is what every guy wants, and she usually gets what she wants. I shove her shoulder with mine lightheartedly. "Alright it's time for you to leave now."

Hayley tosses her hand over her chest in feign shock. "What happened to the friend that was already missing me just a few minutes ago?"

"You know I love your crazy ass," I tell her.

She winks. "I know."

She pulls me in for one last hug, but not before whispering, "Four days and the wedding is over and you never have to see him again."

I pull back with a sigh at the thought of Cale. "Four days," I repeat.

"Focus on the future. Focus on Max," she urges. "Gray, you deserve to be happy."

"Do I?" I ask with a scoffing breath hating the doubt that weighs on my conscience daily.

Hayley's hand lands on my shoulder as her eyes meet mine. "More than anyone I know," she says quietly before grabbing her bag and walking out the front door.

* * * * *

"Where are we going?" I question as Cale's hand rests in mine. His fingers lace through my own as we continue to head down the beach.

The water washes up against our feet in a warm greeting as we make our way down the beach. The sky and air around us is pitch black besides the spotlight of the moon cast beside us. The stars shine brightly, and the darkness surrounds us making me feel nervous. Nervous and excited, because the summer is drawing to a close and I want Cale.