Chapter Thirty-One

8/31/15

8/31/15

I GRAB MY phone when it rings from the back pocket of my jeans as I walk down the street near my apartment. Fall is beginning to touch the air around the city as the air gets colder and the trees begin to bleed orange and red.

A small smile touches my lips at who is calling me as I swipe my finger against the screen to answer the call.

"Hey sis," I say happily to Bailey. "What's up?"

"Nothing much just wanted to say hi," she says. "I miss you," she whines though I don't find it as annoying as I once did. Maybe that's because my relationship with Bailey is different now. We are different now.

We both went through so much this summer, and when Cale left her she was crushed. I know she truly believed I would chase after her fiancé once he left, but Bailey is my sister. I would choose her over some guy any day of the week.

"I miss you too," I tell her honestly. We spent the last couple weeks of summer break together watching 80's movies and eating enough ice cream to fill a room. I helped soothe her heart, because I know how hard going through this kind of pain alone can be.

"So..." she trails as if she's unsure she should continue.

"Bai..." I drag out copying her same trailing voice. "What did you really call about?" I question.

I hear her take a deep breathe through the phone before she speaks next. "I think I may have met someone," she says awkwardly. Like she's uncertain if she should tell me. Like she's almost embarrassed. "I mean we are just talking, and we're friends, and nothing's happened—"

"Bai," I cut her off and I know she's holding her breath waiting for my next words. "Is he cute?" I finally ask with a smile painted over my lips.

A breathy chuckle leaves her lips as if she's relieved by my question. "Really cute," she responds.

"Well then I'm happy for you," I tell her earnestly. "I do think you should take it slow—"

"And I am!" she says assuredly. "I'm not rushing into anything ever again," she promises. Bailey knows she rushed her relationship with Cale because she got so caught up in him, same thing I did years ago as well.

"Good, but also don't be scared because you deserve an amazing guy by your side," I tell her.

"He's really nice," she says and I can tell by her voice she's smiling. A big goofy all in love smile at that.

I walk up the front steps on my building and make my way inside. "Hey, I'm at home so I'll call you back later," I say to Bailey. "But know I'm happy for you and he better be awesome and not hurt you or I will track his ass down," I tease though not completely knowing full well I would do just that for my sister.

"Okay, tell the roommates I say hi," she responds.

"Love you, oh and Bai," I pause to catch her attention. "You better call me after your first kiss with him."