Chapter Twenty-Seven

8/1/15

8/1/15

KNOCK. KNOCK. KNOCK.

My knuckles rap against Bailey's bedroom door three times. I tuck a single strand of hair behind my ear as I rock between my heels. Nervousness flutters it's way through my chest as I stand outside of my sister's bedroom door.

"Come in!" I hear my sister's voice call out.

I push the door open to see my sister sitting at her vanity as she curls her dark hair. Bailey's eyes meet mine briefly before focusing on her hair once more. "You look good," I comment as I shut the door behind myself and take a few steps into her room. Tonight is my sister's bachelorette party and we all decided to do little black dresses.

"Thanks," Bailey mumbles in response.

I take a gentle seat on the edge of her bed as she continues to fix her hair and ignore me.

"So," I pause dragging out the single syllable word. "Ask me," I tell her as I play with the hem of my dress anxiously. I don't know if she will go along with what I'm going to do, but I hope she does. Sorry isn't enough for Bailey, I have to show her.

Bailey pauses with her hair as her eyes meet mine in the mirror with a slight puzzled squint.

"Ask you?" she questions slowly.

"Yes," I agree. "Ask me," I state.

"Ask you what?" she asks still confused as to what I'm going on about.

"About Max," I say like it's obvious. "I think I'm falling for him..." I trail as my heart speeds up at my own words. "So ask me about him and our kiss, and he even met mom and dad—"

Bailey's body immediately flips as the curler hits the desk. "Wait, when did he meet them?" she shouts in shock.

"Almost a month ago," I tell her.

"A month?" she exclaims with wide eyes.

I shrug. "You've been busy with the wedding, and I don't know," I say more to myself than her. "It was a step, but I was still scared," I admit.

"And now?" she probes as she stands up from her vanity and comes and sits next to be on her plush bed.

A smile breaks across my lips at the thought of those green eyes and his hands on my hips. "I like him," I whisper. "A lot, and I didn't think it would go anywhere but—"

"It is!" Bailey squeals finishing my sentence.

I nod as her excitement begins to rub off on me.

"And the kissing?" she asks next.

A light blush coats my face and neck in heat.

"Oh, so that good?" she smirks with raised eyebrows.

"He's almost too perfect," I joke with only a slight edge of seriousness.

Bailey sits back against her pillows as she runs her hands down her tight dress. "That's how I feel about Cale," she says quietly almost like she's embarrassed to bring up his name.