Epilogue

12/5/15

12/5/15

A KNOCK SOUNDS from the front door as Hayley, Maxine, and I sit in front of the space heater we splurged on for the apartment.

It's been an unseasonably cold winter and we have been getting the brunt of it up here lately. Below zero temperatures, and snow several feet tall lining the streets.

"Nose goes," Hayley said as her pointer finger flies to her nose and Maxine quickly follows.

"Shit," I grumble as I shrug off my fleece blanket and stand up from the warmth of the heater.

I make my way over to the door as giggles follow me. "Oh, shut it," I tell my friends who are still well heated.

Our heater is broken, and we are also broke so it's not like we can afford to up the heat in the apartment even if it did work.

Another knock sounds from the door. "I'm coming," I respond as annoyance slices through my voice.

I open the door and my body tense as it waits for the wave of cold to hit me, but as my eyes land on the person in front of me I run cold for a completely other reason.

"Cale," I breathe.

His cheeks and nose are wind blown and flushed as his warm hazel eyes lock on mine. A smile breaks across his still beautiful face. "Hi," he responds simply.

"Uh...um...what?" I rasp out unable to form a coherent question.

It's been four months since I last set eyes on Cale Hasting. Since he ran out on my sister before their wedding because he told her he still loved me.

"Can we talk?" he asks. I think he can see the indecision clear as day on my face as his next words are rushed out. "It will be quick," he says. "Promise," he adds.

I turn my head to look back at my roommates and while Maxine looks confused, Hayley's eyes are wide with shock at the man standing in our doorway.

"Um..." I pause again still trying to put together what is actually happening. I honestly thought I would never see Cale again. A small part of me hoped, but the realistic side of me squashed that hope immediately.

Hayley stands up from the ground quickly coming to my aid helping as my brain stops working from pure shock. "Max and I wanted to check out my room cause...cause—"

"Cause she has this new sweater I wanted to try on?" Maxine finishes for her though her words come out sounding like a question rather then a statement.

"Yes," Hayley agrees swiftly as her eyes widen. "What she said," she adds as they scurry off towards Hayley's room.

As soon as the shut of her door echoes through the hallway my eyes fly back to Cale who might as well be frozen.

"Come in," I say as I step aside. "I guess," I add awkwardly though I say it more to myself then Cale.

He comes in and runs a hand through his hair to shake out the snowflakes that dot his head. Cale's eyes scan the apartment quickly before he turns to face me. It's weird after this summer to see him again. To have him near me, and all his attention on me.