Chapter Twenty-Three

7/4/15

7/4/15

"OHMYGOSH TONIGHT IS going to be so much fun!" Kylie shouts as we make our way down the beach to the bonfire that gets put on every year.

It's the first year my parents actually let me go, and I couldn't be more excited.

Well I could be technically if Cale were here. But he won't show. I asked earlier in the week if he would come to the annual bonfire, and he completely dismissed me and the idea itself. I asked one more time and he got agitated and said no once again. I know he doesn't want anyone to really know about us yet, but one night isn't going to suddenly out us.

I just wanted one night with him. Hidden in plain sight where we could have a wonderful night together. The fourth of July is a magical night. Colors pop and burst across the sky in the flash of an eye and fill the sky like an exploding star. It's mesmerizing and breathtaking, and I can't help but be amazed every single year by them. It's my favorite part of the summer.

I can't stop myself from glancing at my phone to see if Cale had texted me. He hasn't.

I quickly stow my phone back into my purse and try and focus on the night ahead. These beach parties are always fun, but the night of the fourth is when things get crazy. The kind of crazy that gives everyone here enough wild stories to talk about until the next fourth of July wraps around.

"Come on let's get something to drink," I say as I hook an arm through Kylie's and head towards the group of coolers not far from the fire.

Kylie grabs a wine cooler, but I grab a beer because it always makes me think of the night I met Cale. I can't help but smile when the bitter taste hits my tongue. It's still a taste I'm trying to acquire. My best friend gives me a weird look at my choice of drink but I just shrug her off. She wouldn't understand. She knows a little about Cale and I, but I won't ever tell her how deep my feelings run.

Well, at least not yet.

My phone dings and I almost drop my can trying to get my phone out of my purse. Excitement runs though me at the thought the text is from Cale. I finally find my phone in my mess of a bag, and pull it out to only see a new message from my mother. It reads: Be safe and have fun. Love you.

My face drops and so does my heart. I really wanted to spend the day with him. It's the biggest holiday in the summer, and in Easton it's a huge deal.

I shake off the disappointment that creeps in, and take a sip of my beer. Tonight is going to be fun no matter what! It's my first time at the annual fourth bonfire, and even without Cale I'm going to have a night to remember.

An upbeat song blasts over the speakers, and I can't help the way my body sways to the fun beat. It's one of my favorite songs and always a great way to kick off a night.