Chapter Twenty-Six

7/23/15

7/23/15

"WHAT ARE YOU doing here?" I scream as I throw my arms around my best friends neck in pure excitement.

Hayley's arms circle me as she hugs me back just as hard. "Seriously why aren't you in Chicago right now?" I ask confused.

She pulls away as she hoists her duffel bag back onto her shoulder. I had knocked it off in my shock of seeing her face behind my front door.

"When you called the other night I told my supervisor that I needed a few days off," she says. "I told her my best friend needs me," she shrugs simply as if it was that easy.

I toss my arms back around her and give her a big squeeze. "Thank you, thank you, thank you," I repeat quietly as I feel my eyes wet slightly with gratitude.

It has been exactly one week since my big blowout with Bailey at the dress shop. She hasn't been home since, and she's been ignoring my texts and calls. I know I messed up in a way that won't be fixed easily, but I just need her to give me a chance.

"So Bailey hasn't answered you yet, huh?" Hayley asks as she pulls away from my fierce hug.

I shrug trying to play it off, but I know my best friend can see right through me. "I fucked up," I tell her as my whole body sags in defeat.

Hayley tosses her arm around my shoulder and pulls me in to her side lightly. "We usually do with the ones that mean the most," she says quietly. "Now," she continues with a more chipper attitude as she pulls away from me. "Show me to your room so I can set this bag down it's beyond heavy," she says as she heaves the bag back up onto her shoulders.

"What do you have in there?" I ask. "A body?" I joke.

She just smirks at me a throws me a wink. "Wouldn't you like to know," she states. "Now onto your room!" she shouts as she comes up behind me and starts shoving me forward.

I can't help but laugh. It's the first time I've truly felt happy all summer and I needed this. Hayley gets me like no one else does. I understand now that I shouldn't have thrown away my relationship with my sister and forgotten about her while I forged a new one with Hayley. But that doesn't take away from the fact that Hayley was there for me when I was afraid to let anyone in. She stood by my side and never let me feel less, and for that I am forever thankful.

I lead her towards my room and push the door open for her. She quickly drops her bag of bricks onto the floor and flings herself onto my mattress. "Ugh, this feels amazing," she groans into my body pillow.

"Dramatic much?" I tease as I slouch onto the opposite end of my bed from Hayley.

She rolls over so she's on her back and tucks her hands behind her head. "Always," she says as she turns her head to smile at me.

I roll my eyes. "Wow, I can't believe I missed you," I state dryly.

She lets out a small laugh. "I know I'm awesome," she says completely ignoring my sarcastic comment. "Now," she starts as she rolls onto her side to face me. "Tell me about this Max man," she says as she wiggles her eyebrows at me suggestively.