Chapter Thirteen

5/30/15

5/30/15

"UGH, ARE YOU sure this looks good?" I ask as I turn around looking at myself in the mirror.

I turn over to my computer screen to see Hayley rolling her eyes at me. "If you change one more time I swear I'm going to crawl through this screen and punch you."

I purse my lips. "That doesn't tell me if I look good or not Hayley," I mumble.

I hear a sigh as I turn back to the mirror. "Yes, you look amazing Gray! I promise, you know I wouldn't lie to you!" She exclaims.

"I know," I hum in agreement.

I'm wearing a simple white sundress that stands out against my tan skin, and strappy wedges. My blonde hair is pulled back into a ponytail, and I spent a little more time on my makeup than I usually do trying to make myself at least seem put together.

"Don't be nervous G," Hayley tells me.

I twist towards my computer screen. "I'm not nervous," I lie.

Hayley smirks. "It's just a date."

I nod. "I know. But I haven't been on a date in a while and—"

"You actually like Max?" Hayley asks cutting me off.

I bite at the inside of my lip as my face flushes. "I do." I don't know why this date is making me so nervous, but it is. I mean it's just a date, nothing more. And yet, the idea of spending time with Max makes me feel all anxious inside.

"It's okay to like him you know?" Hayley points out.

I turn away from the screen now not wanting to face her. Or more not wanting to face her words. "I know," I say.

"Because I know Cale hurt you and—"

I flip around stopping her with a raised hand. "Please Hayley, let's not go there right now," I beg. "I just want to focus on Max and this date and nothing else, okay?"

Hayley tilts her head with a small smile. "Okay."

I run a hand down my dress, and sit down at my desk so I'm in front of my computer. "How's the internship so far?" I ask.

Hayley's face immediately lights up. "It's so much work—"

"And you love it," I finish for her.

She nods eagerly. "I do, I do! I'm learning so much and it's tough at times but wow..." she breathes. "I don't think I've ever loved this city more honestly."

I cast my gaze down hating the tears that threaten to overflow. I know I should be happy that Hayley is having the summer of her life, and I am. But I can't help but be a tad envious that I'm not there with her. Experiencing the real world, and falling in love with the city again. It's something I wish I could be doing with her instead of being stuck hundreds of miles away.