The air

I walked into the office, my crisp uniform on and a smile splayed on my lips, everyone greeted me and I went to the boss, he as lounging in his office as usual when I came in. My walk more confident with every step and my shiny shoes making the floor squeak. He gruffly put the papers on the table, it was my new case, I got the low jobs instead of the big ones now, sadly, but that's what happens when you make rookie mistakes.

He smiled, a twinkle in his eye as he said "you nailed 'em, congrats." I gave a small smile, a real one, not the fake one I usually have to plaster. Although I am getting better and becoming more dependent on myself as a person. "Our officer Tim says you were wavering though." "yeah." I knew what he was going to say next. "are you sure you have fully recovered?" I nodded, looking down, my bit down bed nails looked ugly. He rubbed his hand and sighed, sounding cracked and old. "You can't keep doing this Hope, you're going to have to stop, put a bit more backbone in." We had this talk after my last case as well, this time I carried something that made me prepared though. I took a deep breath and asked something that made my whole being quiver. "Would you like me to resign sir?" I said so quietly that it sounded like a harsh whisper. He sat upright and said "of course not, just try harder... okay?" I nodded, I had brought my resignation with me just in case, all I had to do was sign it. The line taunted me as I glanced down, grateful.

The boss let me go, a part of me was happy he wanted to keep me, the other was sad he had not let me go.

I calmly looked over at officer Tim, the most depressing person I knew. He had grown up with the Boss because his parent's had tried to murder him, claiming he was sinful and a bunch of other shit. The boss trained him to be a perfect guard dog, he was just as messed up as me, it was just that I had someone to help me through it. Tim and I usually worked together in silence, acknowledging the other's presence and covering each other's backs. We were a good team, not as good as me and Toby, but still good.

I had learnt that Toby had sent his letter of resignation in after the letter he had sent to me.

Ever since I got the letter whenever I come home I write a letter to him about my day, I never send it though, it's a long forgotten dream. I got a puppy named Axel he's a golden retriever and he has made up for Toby not being there. Axel is a gold star dog, a very obedient one who comes near me and likes to sleep on my bed with me. He is nit very active though and eats a lot! Which is okay with me but I just dont want him to be unhealthy.

Life is alright now, I don't really need Toby, I still miss him but I will be okay.