Chapter 7

I was awaken to the awful smell of smoke, and the sound of crackling. I sat up groggily. "Oh, finally. You couldn't have waken up any faster!?" Garroth snapped.

I looked at him, confused. "What's going on?" He yanked me to my feet, causing me to stumble a bit, and he had to catch me.

"Look," he pointed over the edge of the hang over. I leaned over a bit and saw bubbling lava, slowly rising. I jumped back.

"Oh my Irene!!!" I shrieked.

"Listen we need to start climbing. We're about half way. If we start now we can beat the flow." I nodded, and hobbled over to the wall. I hoisted myself up, pain shooting through me. I let go, and fell back onto the hand over.

Garroth picked me up. "You need to climb. It's going to hurt, but if you don't you're gonna die." I nodded again, gritting my teeth.

I made my way back to the wall, and started climbing, trying my best to ignore the pain. After I had been climbing for about five minutes Garroth tapped my leg. "If you can to might want to try and speed up a bit."

"I-I'll try." I yelled. I started to go faster, occasionally my foot would slip, but I'd catch myself. Next thing I know I'm trying to pull myself up to the top. Garroth grabbed my foot, and pushed it up, giving me better leverage. I quickly pulled myself up, and saw Garroth struggling.

The lava was also rising faster. I put my arm out. "Grab on!" I yelled. He reached up to grab my hand, and his fingers grazed mine. "You need to get higher!"

"I-I can't!" He yelled. I gasped and bit my lip.

"Do you trust me?"

"I've got no one left to trust besides you. YES!!!"

"Jump!" I yelled.

"You're crazy!" He yelled.

"Please, trust me!!!" My hair flew around my face, wildly. I blew it out of my mouth.

I looked into his eyes again, and I saw the slightest bit of doubt he had in them disappear. He pulled up, and jumped. I quickly grabbed his hand so it was the only thing supporting him.

The only thing preventing him from falling to his death. I tried to pull him up, but I could only get a little bit up. "Is this your plan!?" He yelled.

"More or less!" I gritted my teeth. I felt something wrap around my bandages tightly, and pulled. I let out a shriveled scream as it pulled my backwards.

Garroth came up with me so I guess that was good, but once he was out of that hole, whatever got me was still pulling me. I let go of Garroth's hand, and dug my fingers into the dirt.

That slowed it down, but never fully stopped it. I heard running footsteps, and then my leg fell, and landed on the ground. I heard a clatter, the sound of metal hitting the ground.

I sat up, and groaned. Garroth fell to his knees right in front of me, and he patted my shoulder. "You good?"

"Uh, huh... what was that?" I mumbled.

"A vine, probably enchanted or something," he chuckled, taking in deep breaths. I nodded, and pulled the knife out of my waist band then tightened my grip around it. "Why you doing that?" He asked.

"Just being cautious." I breathed. I tried to stand, eventually doing so after struggling a little. Garroth stood up quickly, picking up his sword.

"I wanted to say thanks by the way."

"For what?" I asked as I searched the sky for the sun, it was a heavy overcast though, making it impossible to see.

"For saving my skin."

"That was nothing. Definitely not the first time I've done it." I waved him off. "I was kind of like a life saver back at my village. People were always drowning, I just kinda go with my gut in dire situations." I looked around our surroundings.

We were at the edge of another thick forest. Possibly the same one. I hobbled over to a tree, and it almost immediately started swaying.

It was really trippy, and it made me super dizzy. I drew my sword as well, and gripped it tightly in my dominant hand with my knife in the other.

I slowly backed up next to Garroth. "I think we need to go through the trees, but that won't work."

"What do you mean?"

"Unless you like being pulled apart by trees then we need to find another way."

"Okay. What if we go around it?"

"Take too long. We'd probably be here more than two months. I think the exit is in the middle."

"Why would you think that?"

"Just think about it. Most of these test are going to try and push us to out breaking points. They're not going to give us a free pass out of one."

"...Fair enough. So, how should we get to the center?" I though about it.

"I'm gonna hate myself for this but... tree jumping."

"You really do have a death wish don't you?"

"Why thank you for noticing," I laughed. "So, we good for tree jumping then?"

"Sure..." he huffed.

"Good, then let's get going." Garroth helped me walk over to the tree, and we started climbing it, despite the constant swaying that made me want to vomit I was just fine.

We made it to the top with almost no problems. I stared at the tree tops as they started to sway more, and more violently. I was getting dizzy just looking at them. "You ready?" Garroth asked.

"Yup," I nodded. I took a small step back then jumped. I tried to grab the first branch, but it slipped right through my fingers, and I was falling. I tried to grab another branch, but they kept moving out of my reach.

Now these were fairly tall trees, but the ground couldn't come slower. I eventually landed, on a large branch, and I grunted.

"Are you okay!?" I heard Garroth yell. I gave him a thumbs up and sat up. Then the branch started to sway. I quickly wrapped myself around it tightly as it moved more and more violently. Soon it threw me upwards, and I was sailing through the air, arms and legs flailing around. Then when I was falling I was luckily falling straight towards a tree. I landed on the branch, and screamed.

"HOLY MOTHER OF IRENE!!!" I yelled. I heard laughing behind me, and saw Garroth jumping his way over to me. He jumped over to the tree I was on.

"Well, you had fun now didn't you?" I punched him in the arm through anger.

"Ow! Geez!" I felt something soft wrap around my arm. I braced myself, expecting it to pull me down, but it didn't. I pulled my arm up and attached to my arm was a very large leaf that was as blue as the ocean. I stared at it carefully. "What is it?" Garroth asked.

"A healing leaf... but why here?"

"Do you know what this means?" He smiled. I looked up at him, and shrugged.

"Maybe the test it trying to help us."