[Chapter 18] Giving up

Marinette's POV
The guilt was indescribable.

"Will you still be my friend?" He asked with a sad smile on his face.

I sharp pain in my chest kept throbbing.

"Why would you even ask, of course I would. Saturday is still happening right?"

"Yes of course. Thank you Marinette. Oh and can I have my art book back..?"

"O-oh yeah sure, sorry." I replied.

I handed him his art book but it dropped on the floor and flipped open to that same page with the poem again. He gasped and quickly snatched the book.

"D-d-did you see that!....."

"U-um yeah... when you dropped your sketchbook it flipped to that page and yeah....it was really wonderful though, Thankyou." I said sincerely.

His face became flushed and clenched his book tightly with trembling hands.

"Nathaneal, thankyou for loving me and I'm sorry I can't return your feelings. I really admire you, you're a great friend, you're incredibly talented, very kind, caring and just a pleasure to be around. I hope you find someone who'll love you more than anything, you deserve an amazing relationship. I hope you'll be able to move on soon and perhaps find your true love." I said apologetically.

"It was my pleasure to fall in love with somebody so wonderful, thank you Marinette Dupain Cheng." He said before pulling me into a hug.

I was startled at first however I quickly returned the hug. I felt my shoulder become soaked in his tears, I stroked his bright red hair and comforted him. After a few minutes he pulled away and apologised before giving me a relieved smile and walking away.

"Goodbye....my love." He whispered quietly.

I watched him disappear into the crowd and made my way back home.

-------------Timeskip to 9pm----------

I was exhausted from running around all day, I quickly got into my pjs which were a red, loose tank top and black adidas shorts. I let my hair out and pushed some behind my ears. I heard knocks on my window. It was Chat Noir.
He breathed onto the window and drew a wonky heart, it was cliche but adorable. I grabbed a thin, silky black robe and loosely wore it before opening the balcony door quietly.

"Why hello M'lady, looking pawsome as always!" He said before chuckling at his own joke.

"*Sigh* why thank you, how about you drop your puns and come inside. We have croissants" she said with a husky voice.

Chat Noir's POV
I gulped...not only at the phrase croissants but what she was wearing. I had never seen Marinette so exposed. I nodded my head repetitively in delight and shut the balcony door as she went to get food for the two of us. I pulled out a red rose that was attached to my belt and waited for her to come back.

"4 croissants and two caramel frappes~" She sung as she pushed open the door with her foot whilst holding a small tray of treats.
She placed them on her table and glanced back at me, confused.

"Chat, what's with that getup." She asked.

I put my arms around her waist and pulled her to my chest. She was so close I could feel her breath tickle my chest through the suit. I released my transformation and turned back into Adrien.