Stressed Out

TW: Evidence of self-harm and mild depression. Also, High School AU.

     Jack and Mark sat on a bench in a park. The two of them had just got out of school and wanted to take a little break before heading to Mark's house to work on their science project they had to do. It wasn't a particularly cool day and Jack was rather confused as to why Mark had been wearing his flannel all the way. Deciding to finally ask, Jack turns to Mark and makes the half-Korean, half-German boy look at him.
     "Mark, this has been bothering me all day so I gotta ask, why are you wearing your flannel that way?" Jack asks.
     "Cause I want to," Mark says, lying. Jack frowns, not buying it.
     "Mark, you know you can tell me if something is wrong.. Right?" Jack says, getting a sigh from Mark.
     "Yeah I know. But seriously, it's nothing," Mark says. The red floofed boy tries to move his arm away from Jack but winces lightly when Jack gently grabbed his arm. Mark looks down when Jack gently pushes up the sleeve of his flannel. He squeezes his eyes shut expecting Jack to be disgusted with him. Jack, however, didn't pull away. Sure he was horrified at what he saw on his friend's wrists. He pulls Mark into a gentle hug and strokes his friend's hair. Mark hugs back and hides his face in Jack's chest.
     "Why... Please, tell me why you did this.." Jack says, his voice quiet.
     "I can barely hold on Jack... The school work is starting to become too much, the bullying is getting worse and everything fucking sucks! I hate life! And the guy I like probably doesn't like me back anyways," Mark says, finally breaking. He starts crying, not caring what Jack thought anymore. Jack lets a few tears slip down his face. The Irish lad knew why Mark was being bullied; Mark had come out of the closet saying that he was gay. Jack whispers soothing things to Mark to calm his friend down. If Jack was honest with himself, he had liked Mark long before he knew his best friend was gay. Jack just never had the courage to tell Mark that he liked him in that way. But now he was going to tell Mark. It was clear Mark needed someone more than a friend and he hoped that he was the one. Jack moves Mark away enough to grab Mark's arm and gently kiss the fresh and old cuts on Mark's wrist.
     "You'll always have me Mark. No matter what and I'll always care about you," Jack says softly.
     "Jack.. What are you doing? And why do you care so much about a nobody like me..?" Mark asks, his voice a little strained.
     "Because I love you Mark. More than a friend.. I'm gay too and I've been in love with you for the longest time. I want to be the person you can lean on. I'll be there every step of the way. We'll fight this together. I'll be here for you even when life stresses you out. But promise me, you'll never hurt yourself again?" Jack says. Mark puts a hand over his mouth and cries more. He simply nods and hugs Jack. Jack hugs back and rubs his back soothingly. When Mark pulls back, his brown eyes look into Jack's blue ones before kissing his best friend passionately. Jack kisses back, smiling and places a hand on Mark's cheek. When they part, the two rest their foreheads against each other.
      "Thank you Jack.." Mark whispers.
      "No need to thank me. I love you Mark," Jack whispers back.
      "I love you too Jack," Mark smiles, kissing Jack once more.