What Lies in the Coffee Shop

Scorpio's POV

By the time we got back to the school, classes were over so it was the perfect time to wait at the bus stop. 

I took out my compass card and paid, before making my way to the back.  Although I'm tired, I'm reluctant to go home.  I hate being around my brother. He's always calling in sick to work, meanwhile bringing girls over. He's also always smoking, it's become hard for me to breathe around the place. We mainly live off the government. In fact he's made me work a part time job to make up for his laziness.

I wish I could live like that bastard Aries and his sister Capricorn. They must have an easy life.

I decided to stop by a local Starbucks and hide out there for a while.  There, I began to read Variant.  I must've been there for an hour before I noticed a familiar face walk in.   Her blue hair was tied up in two pigtails, and she had a bounce to her step. The girl also wore a short, flowy pink polka dot dress, with matching knee high socks.

It was Pisces

It was Pisces.

"How beautiful..". I muttered, staring as the little bell jingled from her opening the door.

She noticed me immediately, and skipped over with a little smile.

"Hey Scorp!" She greeted with a giggle. I put down my book and gave her a smile. "Hey Pi."

This girl has always been a mystery to me. She was always smiling and giggling when nobody else could. She looked truly happy. Yet what always threw me off was her eyes. They were the same as mine.

I never noticed it before. I was always in my own world. But I do recall that one time..

It was last year, and the twelve of us had gone to the school's fair for Halloween. Pisces dressed up as a mermaid, and I was a vampire. Aries was a character from Assassin's Creed, Taurus was a box of cereal (don't ask I don't know either), Gemini was Jekyll and Hide (that one was cool), Cancer was a female Mad Hatter, Leo was Simba, Virgo was an Angel, Libra was a belly dancer, Sagittarius was Katniss Everdeen, Capricorn was one of the men in black, and Aquarius was an alien.

We were wandering around through the crowds, and planned to meet up at the haunted house after we all got food. So the twelve of us split up and went to the food stands.

As I was eating a chicken teriyaki kabob and making my way to the haunted house, I got a bit lost. As I wandered around pretending like I knew what I was doing, I finally found the house. Well the backside of it. Along with the house was Pisces holding a candy apple. Nobody else was around but me being creepy and hiding behind abandoned stand equipment. She was talking to herself.

"Ahh I hate Halloween... it just feels so lonely. Like that day.. whatever just smile and everything will be fine, right mom?"

It was then when I first noticed the dead look in her eyes. That smile that once annoyed me, made me sad for once. She then disappeared around the sides of the house, calling our friends' names.  I began looking at her differently, never able to shake those words from my mind. 

Pisces held the second book to the Maze Runner trilogy in her hand.  "What brings you here?" She asked, placing her book on a wooden stand beside her. 

"Oh I always come here after school.  My uh, brother works here." I lied.

Pisces studies me for a bit, before asking "Which one is he?"  She motioned to the counter where the baristas were running around to complete the orders. 

"I don't see him there, he must be on his break." 

Pisces just nodded.  She doesn't believe me. 

I didn't get to read very much of my book, since Pisces and I ended up chatting for about an hour and a half. 

I waited until Pisces had to leave, since I told her that I always go home with my brother after that.  Painting this pretty picture of two happy siblings.  It couldn't be more off. 

After I was sure she was gone, I left, alone.  Just like always.  I mean yeah, it's can be pretty sad, always alone.  But hey, I'm used to it right?  What does it matter...

Pisces's POV

I said bye to Scorpio, and made my way out.  He's nicer than I thought, but I don't understand why he had to lie to me.  I in fact come here after school everyday, and have never once seen him.  Aquarius has also met Scorpio's brother, and describes him differently than the baristas at Starbucks.  I would know, I mean like I said I come here just about every day. 

After I walked out of the shop, I waited in a nearby alley for about ten minutes. 

That's when I saw Scorpio leave the shop, alone.  I knew it, he's lying.  But why? 

When he left, I saw a sad look in his eye.  This boy's just like me..