Best Bitch In Town

Chapter 9 - Best Bitch In Town

DAVID MILES

"So? How did it go?"

Dave looked up to find Sydney in the doorway, leaning against the doorjamb wearing a white sundress, her platinum blonde hair in a fishtail braid and her purse slung over one shoulder.

He raked a hand through his hair. "Quite well, if you ask me"

"That's nice."

"Yeah. Hired nearly ten of the doctors. And I don't have to worry much about the nurses. Got all the equipment shipped from my company. You want a tour?"

The building sure was only four storeyed but it was a huge structure in U shape.

  The fourth floor was where he had his office, several other rooms he haven't given much thought about yet and a chapel.

" People always do need a sliver of hope." He had said and Syd smiled at that.

The third floor consisted of singular office for the doctors. The second floor had one whole side dedicated for the therapy. The other side was the doctor's resting room, more like a resting room. The first floor consisted of  different wards, emergency wards, surgery rooms. The ground floor had radiology wards. Chairs with padded seats were placed in rows and couches pushed against the wall for waiting.  And the drugs would be on the left side of the ground floor. The clinical rooms were on the same floor.

"This is actually cool." She said in awe.

"Thanks. But it will actually take me a few more weeks to get it started. "

"That's nice Dave. "

"Thanks for being with me." Dave said as she pulled him into a hug.

A throat cleared and they broke apart with a startle to see Tess standing there wearing a three piece suit with black shades and her face blank. Her hair was pulled into a tight bun and the ever present smile was nowhere to be seen.

"Tessa. What are you doing here?" Sydney asked and smiled.

Tessa ignored her. She pulled of her shades. She walked over to him and struck her hand out for him to shake.

"Hi I'm Tessa Cole." She said in a cold blank voice. Her grey eyes as blank as her voice.

So she didn't want to show any recognition. Fine.

"David Miles." He said as he took her hand in his. The moment his hand touched hers, a jolt of heat pulsed through him. She pulled back her hand as if burnt. Did she feel it too?

"I got a call from Mr. Danvers."

"Zach?" He asked and frowned.

"If that's his first name then yes. Mr. Hunt vouched for him"

Logan did?

Zach had told him that he'd look around for the best lawyer in town. He didn't say that he would arrange for everything from half way across the world. Dave had expected some names, that's all.

"What did he say?"

"That you need a lawyer."

"And you agreed?" He asked surprised.

"If it brings me money, why not?" She shrugged.

"So you'd work for just about anyone?"

"Honey, if you pay me the bucks, I'd save your ass even if you did a crime."

What the fuck? Tessa never cared about money or any such material things. This wasn't Tessa. This was a fucking cold-hearted bitch who just looked like Tess.

"Tessa?" Sydeny looked at her with a frown.

"Yes, Miss Grey."

"This is not you" she mumbled, nervous under Tessa's pining gaze.

"Oh believe me. This is me. I can save your boyfriend from just about anything as long as he pays me. Haven't you heard? I'm the best bitch in town. I charge by the hour, by the way." She said with a bitter smile.

Dave was scowling. Rage boiled in his veins. The vile shit she spewed had him want to shake her and ask where the real Tess was.

Was she doing this deliberately?

Or had he been the reason behind turning her into the cold-hearted bitch that stood in front of him right now?

"I'm sorry for the inconvenience but I don't think I need you." He said. He didn't know how he sounded so calm when he was shaking with anger inside.

"Your loss." She shrugged and turned.

She walked away, her briefcase in one hand, shoulders relaxed, her spine straight. She walked as regal as a queen.

"What the fuck was that?" Dave all but yelled.

"That's what she's all about right now. "

"This us not the Tessa I know" he gestured towards the woman who just walked out the front door.

"The Tessa that came back had changed. She changed Dave. We hoped that it was just a phase. But three months later everybody let go of the hope that she might be back to her happy self. But.."

"But what?"

"But some of the things she said, doesn't make sense. She would never fight for a criminal."

"I doubt that. After the thing just happened, I think she might do just about anything for money."

"I think, I should go talk to her."

Before Dave could stop her, she fast - walked towards the gate.

Sydney would follow and get hurt. He knew Sydney. Sydney was a sweet girl. She hid a hell of a lot of pain. And she would never hurt anyone as far as he knew.

Tess would be bitter and she would hurt Syd.

"Sydney" he yelled and ran out of there. He opened the door and would've bumped into her if he hadn't seen her standing there, frozen.

"Wha-" he walked and stood beside her and saw her, wide-eyed, her jaw dropped in surprise.

He followed her line of sight and his heart all but shattered.

His Tess stood in the arms of another man who all but wrapped his arms around her as if he was protecting him from her.

And the man was none other than his own cousin. Dave's fingers curled into a fist. What he wouldn't do to pound Dan in the face.

She hid her face in his neck as she put her arms around Dan's waist. Dan's hand moved up and down her back as he all but glared at Dave.

Dan was looking at him as if he was the villain while she was the one who had been so fucking cold.

Tess broke their embrace and whispered something to Dan. He ushered her into the car and with a final glare towards Dave, he put on his aviators and slid in the driver seat. The car pulled into the main road. Syd turned towards him.

Now he knew which Hunt she was talking about. But if Dan was so angry on Tess's behalf, then why would he vouch for him.

"What the hell was that?"

He ignored her and pinched the bridge of his nose.

" I think I need a drink."

********

Vote. Comment.

- Nami