We Are Screwed

Chapter 16 - We Are Screwed

TESSA COLE

"Cal." She yelled as she stepped in her office.

"Yes boss?" She grimaced and now knew why Lexi hated being called a boss. Made you feel ten times older

"I got work for you." She said as she rounded the corner and walked into her office.

Cal got up and followed her in.

"Shoot." He said excitement on his face.

"Why do you look like you're high?"

"Because this is an interesting case. I read the file." He said "And I also had a lot of Dr. Pepper an hour ago." He said and shrugged.

She chuckled at that. The guy was as addictive to Dr. pepper as a smoker to a cigarette.

"I just met David Miles. He's hiding something."

"How do you know?"

Because I know him a little more than I want to

"Instinct" she muttered. Shaking her head she continued, "Do a background check on him?"

"We did."

"Yes we did. But we didn't look into what he used to do back in his hometown."

"And...." She faltered but cleared her throat.

"Are you okay, Tess?"

"Yes." She put up a smile but Cal knew that it was fake.

But he didn't say anything and she was grateful for it.

"I want to know each and every single detail about him. And also about last year. Something's not adding up."

"What's not adding up?"

"A year ago Dave took a vacation. Not happy about that, for sure. He returned here one year later and settles here. I heard snippets of Logan's conversation with Dave. And according to that Dave wasn't right in his head. But he looks just fine right now. Sober even. The Dave I know used to down bottles of Grey Goose as if it was water."

"Dave?" Cal raised an eyebrow " Nice nickname. And how the hell do you know about him so much.?" Cal frowned.

She bit her lip and contemplated as to how much to tell him.

"We dated last summer." She said, refusing to say anything more about it.

Cal ooohed at that

"There's nothing to talk about. It was a fling and now I'm defending him."

"So where do you want me to start?"

"I'm going to talk to my dearest brother in law. You" she pointed her index finger at him " are going to Australia."

********

The next day at court wasn't much of a fun. As much as Tess loved to fight with words, she didn't like the continuous push and pull either. The jury felt sympathy for the kid's parents. And Tess did her damndest so that they'd listen to Dave's side without being judgemental or such.

Tess had showed the paperwork to the judge that said that the parents had signed their consent to the operation knowing that it may lead to death.

The parent's lawyer didn't say much. He did question Dave but it wasn't much of anything useful.

Tess had looked at him and known that the guy knew something, something that would cause Dave to lose his goddamn license.

"Are you sure you're not hiding anything?" She asked as they walked out of the court.

Tess had seven days to gather all she could on Dave.

Which meant she needed Cal to return with his information like yesterday.

"Positive" Dave had muttered with a plastic smile on his face.

Tess didn't smile back she just walked to her car as he walked over to his. Waving at him she drove to her office. And looked around the empty floor.

She was one of the best lawyers in town but she needed a lot of them to handle the goddamn cases. She couldn't do three to four cases at the same time. As fun as it was, it was hard to do this all by herself.

The only problem was trust. She didn't trust anyone. She had to. She knew that. She needed to make this bigger than it seemed. Alexis had faith in her. It was time that Tess had faith in herself too.

She placed a call, "Baby I need your help."

********

For the next two days, she interviewed a number of lawyers. Her sister helped in putting up the advertisement. Because of which she had a hell of a lot of lawyers to interview. As much as she wanted to keep a status of her company by hiring lawyers from Harvard, she knew not all of them would be like she wanted them to be.

She needed quality. She didn't need a degree. She needed people who could come with a solution to any single problem. People who could take on just about anything that was handed to them. People who could take on the pressure in court.

After hiring a few of them, she got up from the conference hall and walked over to her office to see Calvin leaning against her desk a fat file in his hand and a grim look on his face.

"Give me some good news." .

"This is bad." He said with all the seriousness.

"How bad?" She asked as she snatched the file from his hand.

"We're looking at a pretty long prison time."

"Whatever happened it was back there in Australia"

"Which can be used as a proof as to why he isn't eligible and the camera footage we procured from your ex's cabin, makes it worse."

"There's a slight problem in that."

"While they are at fault, your ex seems to talk to somebody about a shipment. And it sounds pretty bad."

"What the fuck are you talking about, Cal?"

"We saw a part where Dave doesn't agree to go forward with the decision. But we didn't see the part where his phone rings and he starts blabbering about shipments and stuff. The call was to Zach."

"Oh."

"And honey, what happened back there ain't good."

"What are you saying Cal?"

Calvin pinched the bridge of his nose in frustration as he muttered

"We are screwed."

********

Hey there.

Vote and comment

- Nami