Need You Too

Chapter 12 - Need You Too

TESSA COLE

Tess couldn't stop the laughter that escaped her lips.

Dave frowned, "What?"

"Look at yourself."

Dave looked down at himself

 Tessa tried to stifle her laughter by placing a hand on her mouth but a little giggle escaped.

He was dressed in board shorts, a dress shirt which he had buttoned all wrong, paired with rubber slippers that you mostly wear at home to avoid the coolness of the floor. His hair was tousled but seemed a little wet.

He pursed his lips and she shook her head.

"Come in. I was expecting you." She said.

Dave frowned but entered without a word and stood in the living room as if he didn't know what to do.

Dan always had an impeccable timing because that was the exact time when he entered the living room.

"Shit." Tess muttered under her breath.

He strode towards Dave and punched him out of nowhere.

"Dan" she yelled.

And walked over towards Dave who was now palming his nose.

"What is up with you?" She yelled at Dan as she grabbed Dave by the elbow and dragged him towards the couch.

"That's exactly what's up with me." Dan said in a cool voice that had Tessa snapping her head towards him to find him gesturing at her.

"Do not make this about us?"

"When it comes to him, everything's about us, Tess."

"Dan." She pleaded.

Dan went into the kitchen and came back with a bottle of beer. Dropping down on the armchair that Tess had bought months ago, he took a swig.

"I wanna know why he's here." He said as he tipped his bottle towards Dave.

"He needs me."

"I need you, too."

Tess almost cried at the raw vulnerability in Dan's eyes. She walked over to him cupped his face and dropped a kiss on his lips.

"He needs me. As a lawyer. When I'm with you, I'm with you. No one else. Okay?"

"I love you." He mumbled against her lips as he pulled her for another kiss.

"That's not fair" she said.

"Look at me."

Tess didn't even know she had closed her eyes until Dan had told her to open them.

She looked at him and Dan gave her a reassuring smile. "You don't have to say anything."

"I don't deserve you." She muttered.

"Don't say such things. Go do your thing. I'll take you out tomorrow. Dinner's on you, though."

She dropped a chaste kiss and smiled. "Fine."

With that Dan got up and abandoned his beer on the table in front of him.

Grabbing his shirt from her room he walked out the door.

"You lovebirds done?"

"You continue that and even I won't take your case."

"You know?"

"Of course I know. The Harpers came to me. I declined, of course ." She said as she grabbed Dan's beer and drank some from it.

"They came to you."

"Yep. Swore they'd pay me top dollar."

"Then why didn't you?" Dave groaned a bit at the end.

He touched his nose tentatively.

  Sighing she grabbed a small napkin, threw in same ice and handed it to Dave.

He pressed to his nose and groaned loudly. "Thanks."

"No problem." She dropped down beside him.

After moments of silence, he said "You didn't answer me?"

"I just couldn't do it. I mean I thought it would be perfect to antagonize you. But... I just can't stand against family."

"So, months ago, all that thing you said was.."

"Lies? Yeah. What can I say, you bring out the worst in me." She said and took another swig.

"How do you even drink stuff like this?" She grimaced

"Gimme that." She handed over to Dave.

"I bring out the worst in you. Was that what I did? Brought out the worst in you?"

"I don't wanna talk about it. I'm taking your case and that's why you're here."

"You'll take it."

"I think that's exactly what I said."

"I don't know about worst but I do bring out that sarcasm out of you"

"Now and then."

For the next half hour Dave explained what had happened at the hospital.

"Okay, then. I don't think I can think of anything right now, seeing that it's already 2 at night."

"You said you were expecting me?"

"I knew nobody would take it. And also one of the lawyers you met called me."

"Why?"

"Because I told him to."

"So why not just call me?"

"Because there was still a hope that I wouldn't be your last resort."

"Tess... " He trailed off.

"It doesn't matter. I'm with Dan now. I'm happy."

"Are you telling that to me or just assuring yourself?"

Assuring myself you smug bastard

Clearing her throat she shook her thoughts away "Moving on. I'll see what I can do tomorrow. I need sleep. There's a lot of stuff for me to think about."

"Yeah. Like how can they even blame me, right?"

"No David. There's a lot for me to think about now that I've brought into my life back again."

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"You remember what happened between us a year ago?"

Dave looked at her as if he was confused between saying yes or no.

"You wreaked havoc in my life. Turned me upside down is what you did." She said.

Dave looked confused and guilty.

But she didn't let any hope linger that he would say sorry. After all a simple apology wouldn't take back what he said. Nothing would change, no matter what. He was gone and she was prolonging her agony by taking this case.

She turned her back on him

"Let's hope you don't tear me to pieces when we part again."

********

Vote. Comment.

- Nami