Happiness

Chapter 20 - Happiness

TESSA COLE

"Take a break, boss." Cal muttered as he handed Tess a cup of coffee.

Tess looked up and saw the stress weighing down on him.

"Go home Cal." She said as she scribbled furiously in her notepad.

" No bo-"

"Go home. Get some sleep. I'll need you at the court tomorrow in a good shape. So..." She gestured towards the door.

"Fine." Cal snapped. And stomped towards his desk. Tess knew it was half for show and chuckled. At that Cal turned and grinned.

She smiled sadly and then bent over the file again. She did have the information. But she needed the information on the  one thing that only the lawyer of the case would have. The court sessions.

She called Zach.

He answered on the first ring.

"Zach, do you know the name of Dave's lawyer."

"Why, for once, can't you say 'hello'or a simple 'hi'?"

"Zach be serious, it's 2 here."

"Okay fine, what?"

"The lawyer, Dave's lawyer."

"Tessa Cole." He deadpanned

"So smart." She said wryly. "Last year, Dave's lawyer." She said again

"Noah Jones." He answered

"You have his number?"

"Yeah." Zach rattled off a number and Tess wrote on the top margin.

"Cool." She said and was about to hang up when Zach said, "So he told you what happened, eh?"

"Nope. I found out."

"Found out? How...." He trailed off  "Oh you are a clever bitch." Amusement dripped from his voice. "You hacked into my server?"

"No I didn't"

"Yes you did." He insisted. Hmm. Maybe Calvin was hiding something from her.

"Yes." She answered finally, making a note to ask Cal.

"You're good. How did you know he was hiding this from you?"

"I know him pretty well." She said as a slow smile spread on her lips.

"The tic." They both said in unison and laughed.

"That son of a bitch had a lot to go through. Take it easy on him, girl."

"I would've if he hadn't lied to me time and time again." She sighed

Zach stayed silent for one whole minute and she knew. She knew that he knew everything.

"He doesn't remember, Tess."

"That's what makes it even worse. He said all those things things to me. And he doesn't even remember it."

"What did he say Tess?"

"I'm not telling you. You guys are like too close. I'm not gonna let him know what he said. He'll just have to work with  the fact that he said something that was quite hurtful."

"I promise Tess. I won't."

Something inside Tess wanted to open up. She didn't even know this man. Though he had eyes that seemed familiar, she felt a sort of connection to him. Just like she had with Logan.

Zachary felt like a brother she found in Logan.

"He-"

"Go on." He cajoled.

Tess sighed, "He called me a useless bitch hiding behind her sister. He said that I'd end up doing nothing in my life. That I was worthless. As worthless as a stray dog." She took in a shaky breath. " And that I'd end up dead all alone just like my druggie bitch of a mother."

Dead silence spread through the line. For a moment she thought he hung up until he muttered, "Fuck."

"Yeah." Tess let out a breath.

"There's more to it, isn't it?"

After a few moments of silence she muttered, "Yeah. Can we leave it at that?"

"I'm so sorry Tess. I wouldn't go defending him. What he said was pretty bad. Worse actually. But trust me when I say he didn't mean any of it."

"I wish I could. But actions speak louder than words Zach. He changed me. That night he changed me and I do not like myself one bit. I'm not this person you know. I... " She sighed.

"I can't take it anymore. I gotta go. Got loads to do. Bye."

"Take care of yourself. I like you alot. And if Dave doesn't make you happy, it's okay. Anytime you need me, you call me."

"Thanks Zachary."

"Take care, Tess." With that he hung up.

Tess looked over her notepad. She pushed the talk she just had to the back of her mind and dialed Noah Jones.

"Jones." He answered.

"Hello Mr. Jones. This is Tessa Cole from the Beckett-Cole law firm. I just wanted to ask if you have a file on David Miles about the trafficking case happened last year."

"Why?"

"I'm currently fighting for him and I think it might be an issue. I need to study it before I enter the court."

"What's it gotta do with your case?"

"A lot." She began explaining everything that happened and the videotape of Dave.

"That boy sure knew how to get into trouble." The man sighed. "Gimme an hour and I'll fax you."

"Thanks Mr. Jones."

"No problem Ms. Cole."

She hung up and rubbed her head.

Swiveling her chair around she looked at the view the floor to ceiling windows displayed.

The lights in the city twinkling like stars in the night sky.

Even though it was night, the city didn't sleep. Just like her.

She had given up on sleep long back. Because she hated to wake up to an empty bed in an empty house. Holding on to Dan wasn't a good idea. She had broke his heart. And she knew how much it hurt.

"It's him, isn't it?" He had asked

"No sweetheart." She had said, "it's you." The light in his eyes dimmed at what she said 

"I knew it. I took it fast didn't I?" And she shook her vigorously

"No. No, no, no, no honey. No. I didn't mean it like that." She had whispered because she couldn't do it but she had to. "I cannot keep you on the hook when I can't reciprocate your feelings, Dan. It's not about David or me. I just can't live with the fact that I keep giving you hopes when I know I have nothing to give you."

Dan had placed a hand on her cheek and said, "I know you can't love me back but know that I'll be here for you. I'm just one call away. Take care, Tess. And be happy. You deserve all the happiness in the world."

His words echoed in her head. He thought she deserved happiness.

Did she?

*********

I'm sorry for being late. I got my exams tomorrow. Wish me luck people

And don't forget....
Vote. Comment

- Nami