I Love You

Chapter 28 - I Love You

DAVID MILES

Dave stood at an empty ground where their wedding was held. A single table was set up in the middle. With a candle and a wine bottle with two wine glasses.

He tugged at the color of his tux as he awaited Tess. Would she come? Maybe she wouldn't. He would wait the whole night if he had to.

Just when he thought she wouldn't come, he saw her.

She had chosen the violet gown and god, did she look beautiful.

He couldn't help but stare at her.

When Sydney placed Tess's hand in his he wrapped his finger around and guided her towards the table.

"What is this, Dave?"

"This is something I should've done the moment I came back here."

"This is ridiculous." She said and Dave's heart dropped. She didn't like it. But when he saw the sparkle in her eyes, he knew. He knew that she loved every single thing she did. She was just in denial.

"This is everything you deserve, sweetheart. I know I don't deserve you. But I promise I'll do everything in my power to keep you happy. I promise Tess. I'll love you for the rest of my life. Till death do us part, sweetheart."

Tears filled her eyes but she didn't say anything.

"I'm famished. Let's have something to eat."

On cue, Kayla walked in with a food cart.

Once she reached them she poured the wine for both of them. "You're waitressing." Tess giggled.

"You know I don't like to. But sometimes it's worth it."

Kayla bent down and whispered something in her ear.

Tess shook her head, "Na, I don't think so."

"You'll be surprised" Kayla muttered

Tess didn't say anything.

Kayla placed two plates in front of them.

  "Dig in. And do pay compliments to the chef, no matter what or she'll just not cook for you anymore."

"Don't ruin this moment Kay" Dave frowned at her.

"Yeah, well D. Do not forget who helped you with all this." She rotated her fingers around.

"Bye." She wiggled her fingers and walked over to the aisle created by the array of trees.

"Smells nice."

"Yeah."

When Tess removed the cover she busted out laughing.

"McDonalds?"

  Dave smiled sheepishly. "You told me you loved McDonalds. That you can eat it at any point of time so I had it ordered."

"She's not the chef?"

"Nah. Just called everybody in to make you feel comfortable. And please. Please do tell that you loved it because apparently everybody wants to cut off my balls and play with them. Lexi wanted to feed them to the dogs." Dave shuddered.

Dave's gaze snapped back to hers when she placed her hand on his that was on the table. "I love it. This is beautiful."

"You look beautiful." He said.

"It's the dress."

"No. It's you. You're beautiful, sweetheart, inside out."

"Thanks. Why are you doing all this?"

"I wanted to give you something that you've dreamt of having. Lexi told me that when you were a child you'd imagine your Prince Charming on a white horse to come save you."

"Yeah. I was naive. I didn't now the difference between fairytale and the reality."

"But you deserve it. You should have the fairytale and everything that you've ever wanted. I wanna give that to you. Tess, I love you."

Her breath hitched. Dave knew he had gotten to her. He didn't want to overwhelm her so he picked up his burger and took a bite. She started with the fries.

"So tell me about your mother." He started. He wanted to know about the sisters connection.

"I used to live next door. My mother was a drug addict. I was a result of one night stand. She always told me that she never wanted me. She had a new boyfriend every other week. The boyfriend used to yell and hit me."

She took a moment to sip her wine.

Dave sat there stunned. Atleast his old man loved him. Tess went through something even worse. And to have him say that he didn't want her to. Shit.

"Lexi moved in when I was nine. She was swimming that night when she saw me run out of my house." Tess laughed after that. "That woman ran after me in her bikini. It was a cold night and she ran after me in bikini."

" She coaxed me to come home and we went to hers. She told me that I could sleep in whenever I wanted. She gave me the downstairs bedroom and said that it was mine if I wanted it. I did. I practically moved in. My mother didn't care.

"I was thirteen when I walked in on my unconscious mother. She died in the ambulance. Overdose they said. I didn't even feel an ounce of remorse. Lexi then adopted me. She bought the house next door and it sits empty since then. I told her that I didn't want anyone to live there. That I don't like the negativity. So she bought it. She's done a hell of a lot for me. She paid for my studies. For my camps. For every single thing. She made me work for my first car. She paid half and made me work for my half. She was like a perfect mother. She read me bedtime stories when I was a child. She made sure I had food three times a day. She did everything I wished my mother would do."

"Damn."

"Yeah."

They finished their food quietly. What Tess said had resided in his mind. The girl had been through a lot of rejection. Because of Lexi, she got someone to hold her hand and push her forward. Dave wanted to be there for her too.

Without any delay, Dave slid from his chair and slid down on one knee.

"Dave, no."

"Oh shut up. It's not what you think."

"Oh."

"Tessa Marie Cole I wanted to be with you since the first time I saw you. And I should've known that I was right back then. I know I hurt you and I deserve every insult, every blame you throw at me but know that I will never leave your side, henceforth. I have no right to ask you to trust me but I love you and I wanna be with you. I love you, Tess and I promise to love you forever. I want my Tess back. Back with me, by my side. Always. "

He opened a small box that held a key.

"This is yours if you want because I can't imagine a day where I don't wake up and see your face first thing in the morning.

"I love you, Tessa Cole."

********

The End.
Soooooooooo..... Do you like it?
An epilogue and I'll be done.

I'll finish the epilogue today itself and start Sydney and Sean's story.

Vote. Comment

- Nami