Chapter 5: Made You Smile.

He came even closer. So close that we could share the same breath. I was trying to push him away but his firm grip on my waist wouldn't let me leave.

I trembled as mom put the bowl of cereals in front of me. I tried to be casual but the sweat on my face declared something else.

"Honey, you need to see a therapist now. It's long time." Dad said, softly.

Molly and Chet came running down, and mom, like the daily routine, shouted at them to slow down or they'll trip down the stairs.

"Hello Elene Toluene." Molly and Chet sang as they passed me to the breakfast table. It was so creepy when they said same stuff exactly at the same time. Yes, twins could be creepy.

"That's not funny." I rolled my eyes. Every day with a new name, an irritant is what they are.

They laughed and acted like it is way too funny. I raised one eyebrow.

"Score!" I declared sarcastically, which made mom and dad to chortle too.

I heard the horn. "Conan's already had breakfast early this morning. He has to reach to school early today. Go now." Mom declared. I sighed with half bread in my mouth.

I left my half breakfast on the table and went to get my specs.

Melanie was quiet the whole way, maybe she was having a bad morning or had a lousy breakfast aur didn't talk to Bryn last night before sleeping but I preferred not to ask as I didn't want my morning to go bad as well.

At school, everything was usual. Courtney got over the fact that James blew her off, but Amanda didn't and laughed all day when she saw him.
And then there was James.

We had eye contact at Journalism and I wondered he'd come to meet me after class and he did. I wanted to smile but something was pushing me not to, as always.

"Hi." He said softly, suddenly coming too closer as I was closing my locker. I tried to move back but unbalanced and his arm caught my waist before I could fall.

"I...uh..." a lump wedged itself in my throat, not allowing me to speak anymore.

He grinned observing that we were sharing the same breath, and I couldn't stand that anymore. Everyone in the hallway stopped to glance.

James understood my nervousness and he slowly helped me up to my feet and released me.

"I'm sorry." James whispered.

I preferred looking down, not to say anything. He was trying to say something. He opened his mouth and gained the courage to say it a bunch of times but stopped himself.

"What?" I asked.

He took a deep breath. "I'm not sure if it's the appropriate time. I want to make sure that you'll reply positively before even asking that." He left me confused at that.

"Asking what?"

"I'll ask that when it's the right time, I like that curiosity." He grinned. I didn't know what to say or what he even wanted to ask so I didn't bother to ask further, none of my business.

"So... we're talking?" he asked curiously trying to change the subject as we started to walk to class.

"No, I mean I don't know yet. I'm still figuring out some things." I alleged making it sound palpable. It was, basically.

A wide grin crept on James' face, making the scar on his left cheek more prominent. That was the first time I noticed it. I wanted to ask about it but desired to drop it out.