Chapter 6: So Close.

Hi,
Don't ask about my date. Instead of the guy I was on a date with, I came across another guy, who's new here. He has the most amazing and hypnotizing eyes you could ever see in someone but I don't date guys anymore so he's out of the list. I want to keep talking to him and try to be friends with him but something's pushing me inside. I don't know what to do. You gotta help me out here.
Elene.

I folded the letter and put it in the envelope he sent me before since I was out of new ones. Who writes letter these days? That letter guy does. Urgh.

The door knocked. Once, twice, thrice. I finally got up to open it and saw Melanie standing there in a monotonous way.

"Since when did you need to knock before coming in?" I mocked opening the door for her to come.

She didn't come in; instead she stood there with her eyes looking down and lips searching for words.

"Since the day I made my best friend mad." The words came surging out. I laughed.

She came in getting all over me with the most firm hug. I couldn't breathe and so she released me with a heavy breath.

"I'm sorry. It was my idea. Conan was nowhere between this, you have no right to stay mad at him for so long. He has been complaining since morning. It won't happen again, pinky promise." She confessed quietly and I looked at her with an adored look.

"It's okay to care for me; I was stupid enough to not see that in your eyes. I'm sorry." I confessed further.

She laughed. "What?" She was shocked.

"Just tell me for once who made you admit this; you have never ever confessed something like this. I'm the one who always says sorry to end the fight. Who has raised your spirits?" she scorned. I rolled my eyes.

"James," I had to tell her this.

"Oh my God."

She went on and asked about the whole thing. So I went on about how he showed up and diverted my mind from her and Conan and at the end made me realize what I'd done.

"I knew it! I told you he has something. Now you have to keep talking to him because he brings out the best in you." She said excitedly.

"No he doesn't. You're just exaggerating too much out of this." I said. And after Melanie's half hour lecture of talking to James, she started about Gavin's party.

"We're going shopping today!" she exclaimed.

How on Earth can she find shopping exciting? Ugh. I groaned and she laughed at my gesture.

"It is going to be fun! We have to find you a dress for Gavin's party." She explained.

"When did I tell you I'm going to his party?" I countered patiently.

She started to chuckle which made me even more curious. And when I stood up to take out my anger, she said, "Okay, I'm sorry. But for the record my birthday's near. And this would be a great gift." I knew she was pleading me to go from inside and she knew she was the only person I couldn't say no to.

"Fine, but this is the first and last time I'm giving you such a pathetic gift, okay?" I alleged.

"I know you're going to give me that shirt we saw at Christmas too, just by the way." She laughed and left the room to talk to Conan about something. Ugh, I wanted to smack her. She knew I bought it for her.

I got up to get ready for the library where I had to pick some books for the upcoming Anatomy project.

On the way, two guys kept on following me. One was the tall guy with a beard from our school and the other one was someone I hadn't seen before. They were pointing towards me and talking and giggling but I just paid heed on reaching the library as soon as possible.