Chapter 32: Blurred.

Life can't be all flowers and butterflies.

I think I've pretty much established that. Or my life likes to throw dramatical errors here and then.

Today was James' parents' anniversary party where we all were invited. Even mom and dad.

Due to my scarce contact with dad, I had no idea if he'd be going though I remember how much he liked James.

Mom was adamant in going and I was adamant in refusing. Melanie and Conan had no idea what happened last night because I hadn't spoken to them.

Melanie left a bunch of texts and missed calls which I was still ignoring and Conan thought it was best to give me my space to do stuff on my own now.

I didn't think I was ready, yet.

I was doing my best in ignoring and blocking out last night's events as I completed my last two assignments which were due next week. I also finished learning my lines of the play.

I still didn't know how was I supposed to perform the play in front of him.

I couldn't make myself face him, and for the looks of it, I don't really think he'll be preferring it too. Not that I'm disappointed.

Disappointed is what I was when I came back last night, throwing all the letters in the trash and tearing them apart a few times.

I slept crying and woke up with puffy cheeks and swollen eyes. I was done crying for people. I was done hoping for good. I was done wanting to move on.

Maybe I was doing fine this way.

I spent the entire day in my room. When Conan and mom left for the party, Molly and Chet joined me for a movie.

"You look off." Chet noted as I covered him with the blanket so he won't catch cold again, he had a weak immune system.

"I'm fine, Chet." I muttered, stuffing popcorn in my mouth.

"She's probably dreaming about James. I was up last night when you arrived, he dropped you off right?" Molly said, lying her head on my lap. I had this pressing urge to let it all out, but it wasn't of any use.

"Mind your own business." I scolded her, stuffing popcorn in her mouth forcefully.

"You are our business." Chet said crossing his arms angrily.

Molly sat up from her position and pouted, "That's right."

A smile formed on my face at their attempts. I held their hands as I spoke solemnly, "Don't worry, I'll be fine." I assured them.

Chet lied down instantly though Molly needed some convincing because she eyed me suspiciously for a second to see if I'm lying or not, before resuming to watch the movie too.

~~~

"Open the damn door, stupid! Conan, break it open please!" I heard Melanie shout outside my room the next morning.

It's not like I didn't expect this to happen. I was sure that if I'm ignoring her, she's bound to come and ask what's going on. And here she was.

"Elene, I'm serious about breaking it." Conan warned as I sensed the threat in his voice.

I sighed in defeat, getting up from the bed to open the door.

I don't know what came first. The yelling or the slap. Melanie slapped me so hard across the face it was almost impossible to believe it was her.