Chapter 36: Chaos.

Conan and I decided it was best if I had a nice good chat with mom and he had one with dad.

That being the sole reason why I was standing outside mom's room, fidgeting because I didn't know what to do.

"You could just say what you want to, honey. I can see you standing there, you know." Mom called out chuckling slightly making me jump in my place.

I hesitated and stepped into the room. Sitting on the bed beside her, I said, " I don't know exactly what to say mom, I just think we should talk about what's going on. Molly and Chet aren't taking any of this as well as you think." I looked at her.

She sighed and looked up to meet my eyes. Her dark circles clearly showed how deprived of sleep she was.

"Elene, I understand what this is doing to you four and I'm sorry for that. Your dad and I will talk about it. You guys should know that we are just taking a break and we will surely discuss what to do next."

"But mom-"

"We just need time. That's all I ask from you." She said politely, warming my hands with hers.

"You don't have to worry about me and Conan but, what about Molly and Chet?" Why don't they realize that Molly and Chet are too young to get involved in this trauma?! Even if they do, they have a great way of showing it. Note the sarcasm.

"Maybe we send them to a boarding school." As soon as the words came out of her mouth, I gasped.

"You can't do that to them!" I yelled.

"Honey, you need to understand-"

"No mom, I thought I was ready for this conversation with you but I don't think I am!" I shouted leaving the room.

I stomped in my room and fell on the bed, putting my pillow over my face. I yelled as long as I could to get all the anger out of me. I couldn't do this.

Mom and Dad couldn't just send Molly and Chet to boarding school because they are separating. This wasn't fair to them.

How could I let them do it? Did dad mention this thought to Conan too?

I didn't know because Conan could've mentioned it to me.

Just as I thought about him, he stumbled in my room with an exhausted look over his face.

I nodded at him, slightly chortling. "Boarding school?"

Conan ran a hand through his hair I'm frustration and rubbed his eyes. "Yup."

I sat actively and took in his appearance. "You're a mess." I announced in a worried tone.

Yesterday, Conan's acceptance letter to Massachusetts Institute of Technology arrived and all of us were thrilled by the information.

I secretly knew he'd get in, though he had doubts. Everyone was happy and mom even cried because she wasn't ready for Conan to go. Dad had called too and said that he would drop by Sunday for a little celebration party.

He was relieved, and beyond happy. And I was happy for him because no one knew more than me how hard he worked to get into that university.

Because of that, I thought he'd be still in an ecstatic mood.

"I have my reasons." He sighed, dropping on my bed.

"You're going to MIT! Stay happy!" I tried to sound a bit cheerful, but failed.

He smiled a bit but his mood didn't fluctuate a bit.

"They can't send Molly and Chet to boarding school. I'm not going to let that happen." Conan fumed looking over at me to say something.

Apparently, I had a lot to say. "I am not gonna let them do this too. I tried talking to mom, and it...kinda backfired." I ended up lamely, playing with my fingers.

"This is torture, for the twins."

I nodded, "I don't see their fault here. And I can't let them do unfair to the twins because of mom and dad's personal issues." I imposed, getting off the bed. Conan and I fell into silence.

"You're right." This time, the voice was different. We looked up together to find mom standing on my doorstep.

"Mom..." I began but didn't know where I was going with this.

"It's okay, honey. You guys are right. I can't let my children suffer for what issues your dad and I are going through." She acknowledged, as she stepped inside the room to talk to us. I scrutinized the corner of her eyes that were clogged with tears.

"Mom, we're with you in this. It's just that sending Chet and Molly to boarding school isn't quiet a nice decision." Conan countered, in another attempt to make mom understand.

I felt useless standing there.

"I get that. It's all just too upsetting. I need to talk to your dad as soon as possible." She said, nodding to herself as she turned to go.

Before leaving my room, she turned to look at us for a minute and implied in a low tone, "Don't worry." She closed her eyes to emphasize and I believed her.

I sighed, finally relieved that the twins won't be treated unfairly.

~~~

The next morning my ride to school was different, as I believed would be, from now on. I smiled at the guy standing outside the car, with his back resting and hands in his pockets as he waited for me patiently.

"So finally Melanie and I would be alone in the car now." Conan dissed me as I made my way to James' car. I rolled my eyes and pushed him aside, making him stumble.

"Hey." I smiled, just as James quickly pecked me on the lips. The smile just widened.

Was it too early for the butterflies in my stomach to rise?

Entering the school was even more awkward now, since my entry with James followed by stares and whispers and obviously invitation to more gossips.

His hand was gripping mine, so I felt relaxed and carefree at the same time.

James stopped by Cecelia and Dwayne, who couldn't stop gushing about the roleplay.

"Guys, I couldn't stop smiling after witnessing your play!" Courtney called out as she and Damian joined us.

Melanie came by too, putting her arm around my shoulder and soon, we were having a small party around the lockers as Violet, Jordan, Greg, Amanda and Paul joined us.

I knew my face was heating up. I didn't like this much public attention and I was waiting the bell would ring soon.

James understood my situation because he started to laugh. I elbowed him hard, rolling my eyes simultaneously.

"Give them a break, guys." Melanie deadpanned, though I knew she won't give me a break.

The bell rang and I moved to my first class which was with Melanie and Cecelia.

Melanie pulled me with her and whispered in my ear, "I'm so getting details from you after school."

---

This was written in a hurry, and so not proof read.

Vote. Comment. Recommend. ❤