Chapter 35: A Bit Nerve Racking.

"Do guys like him actually exist?!" Melanie chirped in excitement alongside Courtney as I told them the complete story about James coming back and our conversation.

I laughed, turning my position to the mirror.

"Hey!" Conan said in defense.

Melanie turned to him, "I love you babe, no offense." I rolled my eyes at them as Courtney opened my closet to find something for me to wear.

"Why am I being so nervous, again?" I ranted hesitatingly. "I mean I've met his mom before, and she's sweet right?"

"Yeah, but dinner with your boyfriend's parents for the first time is a bit nerve racking. It's normal for you to feel that way." Melanie assured me, shrugging the matter away.

So that's what he is now, huh? My boyfriend? Even the thought sent chills through my spine.

"Oh, you're one to talk. You've been around mom and dad for so long that it was almost a normal news for them that you started to date Conan." I stated, rolling my eyes.

I remember when Conan told mom. Her exact words were 'oh, about time'. And dad told Conan that he was actually shipping Conan and Melanie. Wow.

"Speaking of your dad, he was there at your play yesterday." Amanda said absentmindedly as she was busy in selecting the perfect nail color for me.

I looked at Conan for confirmation, who was sitting beside Melanie, an arm draped around her waist as she sat on his lap.

"Yep." Conan nodded.

I hadn't seen dad since that day when he left the house, though Conan met him a couple times and the last time he was home, I spent the night at Amanda's.

Maybe I missed his presence a little too much, because I was considering to meet him.

"Anyway, I gotta run. I'll be late for practice." Conan said, getting up as he pecked Melanie's cheek and made way outside the door.

"Hey, wait!" Melanie called him but he was already down the stairs.

"Later!" He called back.

Melanie groaned, sinking into the chair as she ruffled her hair. Something she did when she was frustrated with herself.

"What's the matter?" I asked her, as I slowly started to take out the rollers off my hair, letting go of golden brown loose curls to fall on my back.

"Nothing, I'll get over it." She mumbled.

~~~

"It's just mom and dad. You'll be fine, they're chill as is." James assured me for the hundredth time as he noticed me mumbling and playing with my fingers, tensed.

He covered my hands with his and smiled. "Why are you so worried? Mom loves you already." He chuckeld.

I sighed in relief. "Well, that helps." I rolled my eyes.

He was right though, I was worrying for shit. His parents were a delight.

I really wanted them to like me, and like James said, his mom left no way in telling me that she was happy James had a nice choice. Relief washed over me.

His dad was no where like I imagined. Being his step dad, he looked nothing like James. And to my surprise, James had an unbelievably great bond with his step dad.

"James hardly ever gets interested in someone." He chuckled as we sat on the dining table for dinner.

I laughed in return. "Tell me about it."
I was really comfortable around them. Maybe this was in James' genes to make the aroma around him comfy because his mom too tried her best to not make me uncomfortable. And I appreciated that.