Chapter 34: Hey.

I looked up, but didn't turn to see the owner of the voice. I didn't need to. I could recognize his voice anywhere, anytime.

My eyes swam with tears as his hands made their way to my arms, making me turn to face him.

"Hey." He whispered, examining my face as I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. His lips curled up into a smile.

I stared at him in awe. I couldn't believe he was actually here, standing in front of me grinning goofily.

"You're back." I whispered inaudibly.

"Judging by the fact that I'm standing right in front of you, yeah. Yeah, I'm back." He said, pausing to soften his features. "I didn't leave to begin with. I had to come back, and I couldn't leave you on the pedestal. I told you I'd come back today, so I did." He added, sounding genuine as always.

I couldn't believe my eyes and ears. "But nobody knew you were back. We asked Damian, even he had no clue."

"Well, they're not to blame actually. Dwayne and Damian knew, but I'm glad to hear that they played their part." He chuckled, looking away and shaking his head.

Am I really seeing this? Or is this some illusion?

"Which means they're great actors. Damian didn't even tell Courtney!" I couldn't believe as we conversed standing there. It all felt too cozy and comfortable around him.

"You're kidding." He laughed. I laughed and shook my head.

After that, we just fell into silence.

I don't know what pushed me to speak first. Maybe the fact that I was really supposed to or maybe the guilt was just eating me alive. "I'm sorry."

He looked at me from a longing gaze outside the room and frowned. "For what?"

Did he really want to go there?

These questions just confuse the hell out of me. Doesn't he already know why I'm apologizing? It's not like only I have stuff to apologize for.

"For everything. I'm just really really sorry, and Um- I'm glad that you're back. Well, glad would be an understatement. What I'm trying to say is-"

"I'm sorry too." He intruded, determination occupying his face. Finally.

"For what?" I decided to play along.

"Uh," he scratched the back of his neck. "For the letters. I was really an asshole there. I shouldn't have asked you stuff through letters. I should've left you on your own to tell me only if you feel like." He said, owning up to his fault.

I didn't even know what I apologized for. All I knew was that I really was sorry. His confession made me realize how he would also be expecting me to say stuff.

Maybe I really was leading him on indirectly and unconsciously, something I regretted to do before.

I then asked something that was in my mind for a long time. "Why didn't you stay when I asked you to? Why did you leave?" I finished, curiosity back in game.

If we were going to sort stuff out, the best way to do it was saying everything honestly and speaking my mind, which was all I planned to do today.

"I really had to leave. I told you before that my friends were having this reunion for me." James explained as I walked across the room to the window, him staying at his place.

"Could it wait?" I asked hesitating a bit. Why did I sound so selfish?

"Yes, the reunion party was two days after. I left for San Fransisco on Wednesday, and the party was on Friday." His voice echoed in the classroom.