The Angel and The Dream

I plop down in the chair, sighing loudly as my back sorely ached. Sam and I just finished a vampire hunt in Michigan; a nest that included four vamps and three people who were in the process of turning. Thank god for that recipe that we found a few years ago, and for the fact that they hadn't feasted yet. It was a close call but we were able to finish it up in time. I look around the bunker that has become our home. I kind of scoff. Home. That's not something I'm familiar to.

I mean, we've always had Baby. Hell, she's our home. Or at least she was until we found this place. But now she's parked in the garage with all of the other classic cars. I find it quite silly that we have those cars considering we only use Baby. Man, I have some good memories in that car...

The sound of a book slamming down on the table makes me snap out of it. I look up and see Sam towering over me, his eyes looking weary and tired. He sets his stuff down in a chair and then plops down in another one across from me.

"Hey there Sammy." I smirk. "Tired?"

He looks at me. "No, no I'm wide awake."

I chuckle. "I hear you. That hunt has me super sore."

Sammy chuckles a little. "That's an understatement. I still can't believe that you sliced and diced those two vamps within a minute. That's a new record for you."

I chuckle. "Hey, you were pretty good yourself. I mean, you handled that one vamp like a champ."

Sammy chuckles and sighs. "Well, I think we should go out to celebrate." he says, raising an eyebrow mischievously. "I saw a bar about 50 miles from here."

I think about it, but then shake my head. "No, I'm too worn out."

"What?" Sam asks in shock. "Too worn out? Well that's a first." he says.

I shrug. "I'm getting old."

"Dean, you're thirty-three. You aren't old."

I roll my eyes and sigh as I lean back. "If you say so Sammy."

"So you aren't coming?"

"Nah, I'm gonna stay here."

"Suit yourself. I'm gonna go get some fresh beer." he says as he stands up. The chair scrapes against the floor as he pushes it in. "And maybe meet some ladies." he says as he looks at me one last time.

"Use a condom." I shout as he walks up the stairs. He chuckles and then I hear the jingle of my keys and then a loud thud. I sigh and lean back, resting my head in my hands. I start to doze off when I feel a familiar presence beside me. Well more like above me.

I open my eyes to find blue ones staring at me.

"Hello Dean."

I close my eyes and sigh. "Cass. . . we've talked about this."

He stares at me. I swallow.

"Personal space."

"My apologies." he says as he steps back. I sit up straight.

"Can I help you?" I ask as I look at him.

"Well, since I've just gotten my grace back, I've been feeling a little drained. And I have come back to finish reading a book."

I look at him. "A book?"

He nods his head. "Yes. I started reading a book while you and Sam were on a hunt."

"I didn't know angels read."

"Actually we don't normally. It's not something Angels do in their free time. But I did it a lot when I was human." the angel says the last few words softly. I feel a little pang in my chest.