Chapter 23

AJ's POV

When you've been doing your job for quite some time you know how things go and your instincts kick in before danger entraps you.

"Stay here no matter what. Let nobody inside. Ok?" I instruct Vecko buckling him in the car seat.

I have him in the car in the garage. I place the car keys beside him on the seat and hand him his tablet.

Reggie is in the kitchen making a call to some men at the trap house just to make sure everything is running smoothly and Angelina is in the living room directing Marco em.

I close the car door and take the spare key out of my pocket. The windows were cracked enough for him to get air but not too much so that somebody's hand could go through.

I lock the car with my set of keys, so he has a set and I have one. I showed him how to open the door before. I send him a kiss and he smiles and waves at me.

I watch as he puts the headphones on and start playing his game. I call out his name but he doesn't hear me, good.

I exit the garage and close the door behind me. My feet scrape against the soft carpet as I walk back to the living room.

I peep through the curtain to see the same car passing the gate again.

"Something is about to happen." I say to Reggie and Ange when Reggie walks in the living room.

I pull for the gun under the coffee table and check to make sure it's fully loaded.

The car comes to a stop at the gate and a man comes out with the Echo1 M134 Gatling Style Airsoft machine gun in hand.

"Get down!" I scream as bullets start to fly on and in the house shattering glasses and tearing into furniture

My back hits the side of the counter as I throw my body on the floor and cradle my head in my hands to protect from the flying bullets.

The sound of bullet after bullet penetrating through my home causes my ears to ring at a high frequency.

A bullet catches the vase on top of the counter and splinters fly hitting me in my arm and in my leg.

"AJ?" Ange calls out and I look to the side to see her taking cover by the couch.

Reggie as his back against the door with his gun in his right hand but his hands grip his ears and his eyes screw shut.

I slide my gun on the floor over to Ange. I grit my teeth and tear the shards of glass from my skin and little blood seep through each wound.

I use the broken glass to tear the carpet underneath me. I peal it away from the floor and feel for the little uplift of the wooden flooring.