Chapter 2: The Hunter

Theron's POV

It was a colder morning as I rode through the town I had recently been assigned. The reports of witches and warlocks were off the charts. I was glad I wasn't one of the gallows operators here. I wandered through the market streets looking at the few who were out. One had caught my eye, a man at the herb vendor's.  By the looks of things, he seemed to be begging for what he needed. Alas, I turned my head to focus on the others.

I gazed underneath the shroud of my hood to the other citizens here. Which could be part of the devil worshippers? I thought. I heard a little girl say something that brought me out of my gaze. I looked over to find that she was with the same man at the vendor's. She looked to be frightened by him. He's looking more suspicious by the second... I noted. I heard the thumping of hooves as another horse had approached me. Atop its back was a man who seemed to warm the atmosphere with his smile. "Peter!" I say, "It’s about time you got here."

"Forgive me, Theron, but the headmaster had given me assignments to do." He smiled again, though I could see he was clearly fatigued from hunting as well.

"Our place of rest isn't too far now. They've got warm beds and cold drinks waiting for us," I smiled slightly. "We’ll have a celebration of our new home."

"A housewarming party? I like the sound of that." Peter laughed and pulled up the reins on his horse. "I'll race you there."

I chuckled. "You're on; shouldn't you know I've always been the better rider?"

"Oh please, I've been practicing."

I shook my head and smiled. So playful, yet serious when needs to be. I'm surprised he hasn't gotten himself killed in a witch hunt yet. I waved him ahead and watched him go. "Let me get used to the terrain here first."

I glanced back to where the man had been. He was lost now. Probably fled into the alleys to avoid me. Best I don't kill anyone here quite yet.