Chapter 19: Recovery

Altair’s POV

A few days later, Theron and I were able to get out of the hospital. Peter never came back after that day. Theron was worried and I won’t lie, so was I. Our burns have mostly healed so it was bearable to move now. I kept my eye on Theron as we left the building. I didn’t like when he was out of my sight. I worried about him, maybe more than I should. He was an important part of my life now and I would make sure he was safe whether it killed me. Boyfriend...it has a nice ring to it. I thought as we left.

I looked over at Theron. “Where do you think Peter is, Theron? Would he be in trouble?” Worry crept in my voice. He was my friend now too, so I was concerned for his well being.

“Peter isn’t one to find trouble like this. He was probably stopped by men in the village. Though, they would have let him go. He’s not a pyromaniac…” Theron said to me. The worry clear in his voice. “Come on. We have to find him. He could be lost out here.” Theron walked ahead towards the path and looked around. He looked a little frustrated. “Which way’s the village? This place is unfamiliar.”

I looked around a moment then pointed east. “It’s that way...I’ve become familiar with many places...that...and there’s a burned up sign over there.” I tried to lighten things up. Kinda hard now that… I chose to ignore the thought. He’s already worried. Stop it, Altair.

Theron smiled slightly, trying to hide his true emotions. “I-if you say so. We need to hurry. I fear for him. He’s an accomplice now. The hunter’s society is gonna be looking for him as well as me. And if they find me, they’ll find you.” His eyes showed heartbreak. “I can’t lose him. Not now.”

I took his hand gently to comfort him. “I told you I wasn’t important, Theron...You could have turned me in. It’s the way it is in this town, in this time.” I looked at him sadly. I needed him to understand. I wish he would have turned me in.

“I wasn’t willing to turn you in. I never could turn you in. I love you, Altair.” He turned and walked ahead towards the village when I heard a groan of pain from the side of the road.

I watched Theron walk ahead. What was that…? I walked to where it came from curiously yet cautiously. “Theron…? This way. I think I heard something.”

Theron turned to look at me. “What? Where?” He walked over quickly and scanned the area. He stopped, his face drained of color. He pointed out into the forest, to where a broken, bloody Peter lay. Theron ran over quickly and knelt by his side.

“Theron careful…!” I ran after him to Peter and knelt beside him. “Tsk...I’m sorry, Peter…I can use a healing spell” I looked at him sadly. All because of me…

Peter looked over with a new emotion to his eyes. Pain. “You...shouldn’t be..here. They...want you...” He said to me weakly. His wounds were deep and almost had beginning of infections. Theron picked him up as gently as he could, Peter’s blood all over his shirt.

“We need to get him to the hospital. The blood isn’t stopping.” I could see the worry in his eyes. His voice shaking with desperation.

I nodded quickly. “Let’s go…” I ran with him back to the hospital from where we came. This wasn’t the time for this.

Peter was laying against Theron’s chest limply. His breathing was ragged and weak. Theron led me to a room and laid him down on the bed. Peter closed his eyes in pain. Theron was covered in his blood. “It’s...too late…I...I don’t...think it’s...worth it…” Peter said strained.

“Shut up...I’m...We’re not losing you too…” I said sadly as the medics walked into the room. I looked over at Theron. “We should get you a change while we wait for Peter to recover…”

Theron shook his head. “No, I’m going to wait until he’s better. I’m not leaving him in his hour of need.” He watched the medics go into the room and sat down on the chair outside to wait. He looked down like he had been ashamed of what had happened to Peter.

I looked at Theron sadly and sat beside him. I didn’t know what to say so I took his hand. I squeezed it reassuringly. “I’m here for you...and him...for however long I’m here.”

 He looked over and smiled slightly. “Thank you, Altair. I’ll make sure you survive these trials.”