Chapter 12: The Truth

Theron’s POV

It was almost too awkward to speak about that night. Peter still hadn’t shut up about it. He always went on about how “I’d find the love of my life here.” Or “You’re gonna need someone eventually.” I always scolded him telling him to find his own lover. But he was always drunk during those lectures.

I got up out of my cot to go to where our headmaster had been staying. The news came the day after Altair had visited. My heart was pounding. I hope I don’t have to kill him. He’s my friend now. I knocked on the door to an inn. A muscular man had opened the door. He was taller than me and had a few more years of killings under his belt. I backed away almost intimidated. I’ve never seen the master in person until now. He’s terrifying. “Headmaster, sir?” I asked dryly.

“You must be the hunter in this part.” He said to me. His voice sounded like thunder. “I have an assignment for you.” Finally…

“A-And that is, sir?” I looked up at him. This man can snap me in half…

He handed me a small file. “You’re assignment is in here. Do not disappoint me, Theron.” He shut the door in my face, leaving me speechless. I looked down to the file and opened it walking back to our home. Inside was a biography and a picture. It was Altair’s. My heart sank as I looked the picture over. I can’t...not anymore. He’s too important to me now.

I heard footsteps from behind then, approaching me. “Theron?” The familiar voice said. Altair’s.

I quickly turned hiding the files in my cloak. “Y-Yes, Altair?” I tried my best to hide the despair in my eyes. I have to kill him...his blood’s going to be on my hands. And then I’ll be alone again.

“What’s the matter? You alright? Did something happen?” He bombarded me with questions. Worry filled his voice and eyes as he tried to console me.

“I’m fine. Just a bit groggy from my sleep last night. Cots aren’t exactly comfortable…” It’s so obvious now isn’t it… I sighed sadly. “Please… Come with me. There’s something I have to tell you.”