Chapter 16: Hope

Theron’s POV

I awoke inside an unfamiliar room. I felt some odd fabric around my hands. My vision was disoriented as I came around. I looked around sleepily to see where I was. Hospital… Just what I needed… But where’s Altair? Did...Did he make it? I looked down to my hands to see them wrapped in bandages. The sword must have burnt my hand from the heat. How did I not notice?

I heard footsteps and turned my head towards the door to see Peter walk in with a small plate of food. He had a bandage around his arm like he hadn’t managed to escape the blaze unscathed either. “How ya feeling, Theron?” He said to me comfortingly. “I managed to find you outside the village a ways. You were out cold.”

“I...was outside the village? But...Where’s Altair?” I said weakly. My voice was hoarse from shouting.

“I didn’t manage to find him. I’m sorry, bud. I don’t think he made it.” His eyes were of empathy, even he knew that losing a friend was hard.

I looked away. This is all my fault. My presence in that village is the reason he’s gone. Maybe I’m doomed to wander alone in the world. “Did they at least find a body?”

“The ones that they had all found were burned beyond recognition. Be thankful you were home and not out. Altair wouldn’t want to see you die.” He set the plate of food on the table beside me. “You inhaled a lot of smoke. You’ll be staying here for at least a few days. Better start getting used to the food here.”

I sighed and sat up slightly. I looked to see my charred shirt on the edge of the bed. “They stripped me?”

“They had to make sure you weren’t burned underneath.” He smirked a bit playfully as to lighten the mood. “Don’t worry. I told them not to pet you too much.”

“You’re so mature…” I said and lay back down again staring at the ceiling. I closed my eyes, the screams of the innocent echoed through my mind. The flames still dancing behind my eyelids.

I heard another pair of footsteps approaching past the room. The sound of squeaky wheels followed behind.

I sat up again quickly, wincing from my back. I looked out to see who was coming. “Another survivor? I wonder if they saw Altair leave…”

I saw them pull a stretcher into the bed on the other side of the room. Altair was lying on it. He had burns on his chest, arms, and face. He was squirming when the nurses tried patching him up. “Don’t touch me, DAMMIT!”

I chuckled a bit, both in relief and entertainment. “Hey it’s not so bad!” I called out to the hall.

“It’s hell!” He called back, irritated.

“Well get your butt in here and maybe you’ll calm down.” I massaged my shoulder a bit, feeling where the scar had started. It still ached, and wielding a sword hadn’t helped that.

“If they’d stop touching me then maybe I would!” I heard cheer in his voice like he was happy to hear I was alive.

“I’ll try convincing the nurses to see if you can have a roommate… you are known to bite, Theron.” Peter said and walked out to Altair’s stretcher.

 “Don’t do anything stupid ya drunk!” I said, the hope returning to my voice.