Chapter 5: Fire Burns Bright

Aaron’s POV

I watched as Altair went to pick up his scattered books. He was worried about me. I hated when he was worried about me, but there’s nothing I can do about how I am, what I feel... I thought sadly. I picked up a few pots and pans and went to making dinner. We’ve both lost weight from the scarcity of food. Yet Altair managed to appear the same, build, tone, so forth. I probably look like a walking skeleton. I thought blankly as I walked to the sink and filled a pot with water to boil.

“Make sure the stuff is fresh this time, Aaron!” Altair called from the next room.

I laughed. “I will!” I turned off the water when it reached the middle of the pot and walked to the stove. I looked around in alarm. There was fire everywhere; it wasn’t there a minute ago. It seemed to spread from the stove like a wildfire. It rose and rose and crept towards me. “A-Altair..! Altair!” I screamed in fear. I took a step back and fell dropping the pot. “Stop…Stop…!!” I raised my hands over my head for protection.

Altair ran in, the look on his face was as if I was dying. “Aaron!” He knelt by me and shook me. “Look at ME, it’s not real, it’s not real”

The fire seemed to fade away. I held my head in my hands. “I’m sorry…I…I dropped the pot…”

“Shut up” He helped me stand. “Go sit, I’ll clean up okay?”

“But-“ he cut me off as he pushed me out of the kitchen. I sighed as I sat on the couch. I held my head in my hands. I’m ok, I’m totally fine, hey…Altair got spices, maybe that’ll get things off my mind. I thought as I got up and walked to where we carried our supplies.