Chapter 6: Pursuit

Theron's POV

I had awoken in the middle of the night. The cot was too uncomfortable to be slept on. I looked to see Peter had passed out on his cot. I shook my head smiling. Raving drunk. I thought.

I got out of bed and put my cloak back on and pulled the hood up over my head. I snuck out to be greeted by the chilled night air, I was able to see my breath. I walked to the town to see what the layout was in case of emergencies or pursuits of the witches. It was a quaint little town, with shops and such lining the streets. It seemed that people were barely able to scrape by here. Nothing like this in my hometown. We always had food. I thought sadly. I heard a door open near the allies I had been by earlier that morning. I hid in the shadows to investigate. I saw a man walking towards another area. He looked as if he were trying not to be seen.

I kept my distance and followed the man to where he had been going. "What are you doing here this late at night, boy?" I said to him, still keeping my voice low, yet intimidating.

He stopped mid step and looked over at me startled. “I...I couldn’t sleep…” His voice shaking. The fire in his eyes obvious in the darkness.

“Couldn’t sleep hm?” I looked him over. He was definitely showing signs of paranoia. “Are  you sure you aren’t doing any...other activities?”

“O...Other activities…? What do you mean…?” He was fidgeting, swaying from side to side like he was being distracted by something. He looked past me at nothing, fear shrouded his eyes. He shook his head and looked back at me.

“You’re acting suspicious, boy.” I said to him with a low growl. “What are you hiding? Are you one of those devil worshippers? I’ve heard a lot about your kind, wretch. I will not hesitate to put you in chains myself. Where. Are. You. Going?” My eyes narrowed as I stared into his. I could feel his will breaking with every passing second. Maybe I can get somewhere with this… I thought.

“I...I just needed spices for dinner…” Tears threatened to fall. He took a step back away from me. “The...the fire...stay away…” He held a loose fist over his heart like some sort of lifeline.

“The fire? What fire.” I asked, my voice softer now. “There is no fire here.” This man must be possessed by demons. I thought,  he’s too paranoid, fidgety. If I could just break him enough, perhaps he can lead me to the other witches in this godforsaken town.

“T...There…” He pointed to nothing. “My...My friend says it’s not real...but I...I can’t help that my eyes lie…” His eyes were pleading as he looked back at me. He twiddled his thumbs as if he were trying to distract himself from the fear.

“Friend? Who’s your friend hm? Can I meet him?” I glanced to his thumbs, watching to make sure he was unarmed. “Perhaps you should seek help, boy. I can fetch the priest if need be.”

“No...I’m ok…” He looked up at me blankly. The fear seemed to have faded from his eyes and transitioned to a blank stare. “I don’t know where he is…”

“You don’t? Hm… Perhaps you need convincing. You do realize that I can accuse you of certain offenses not limited to witchcraft and sorcery, boy?” I said stepping closer to him. My hand instinctively moving to the hilt of my concealed knife. There will be blood tonight I can guarantee that. “Are you unaware of what you’re dealing with?”