Chapter 3: The Schizo

Altair’s POV

Was I retreating? Nah, I didn’t do anything… I thought as I walked quickly into the allies. I looked around to make sure no one was watching. Two hunters here were just what this forsaken town needed. I walked down to the deeper areas of the allies. Usually, this was where the few witches and warlocks smuggled secrets and ingredients and made their incantations. Won’t be long before they would be discovered though.

Quickly I pushed down the thought as I approached a door; a hand closed around my wrist and roughly slammed my back to the adjacent wall. In a blink of an eye, before I could register what was happening, a blade was brought to my throat. “Who are you...?!” A familiar voice said. It was deep and strong, yet, lately it seemed more shaky and afraid.

“Hey, Aaron” I swallowed wary of the blade. “It’s only me, Altair.”

The man stiffened and pulled the blade away. “A-Altair, geez, I’m sorry, I get so paranoid lately, you know…” He took a step back, away from me, only his silhouette was shown from the dim light. He raked a hand through his hair, clearly startled. His easy smile was lost under his worry. I can’t blame him, I’m afraid too. But I can’t let him know that.

“Easy easy, I know” I looked from where I came then back at him. “Hey, I got the spices alright? We can do that spell together.” I spoke calmly, that was the only way you could talk to Aaron lately. He wasn’t the same anymore, but he was the only friend I had in this broken town and age. “There are hunters here, both on horseback, let’s head inside alright?”

He nodded in silence as he absorbed the information I had given.

The others that were around seemed to have heard me because one by one the area was becoming emptied as they retreated home. Aaron didn’t seem to want to move. Is he angry again? I could handle his rage. I slowly grabbed his wrist and pulled him to the door I was going to enter. I pushed him inside, took one final look back, and walked in.

“I don’t know how much of this I can take, Altair.” His voice wavered.

Silently, I looked over at him. I walked into our “kitchen” without a word. It wasn’t much, the place was small. Enough for Aaron, myself, and maybe two others, but it’s hard to find roommates when everyone was afraid of their own shadow. The place was a mess; books were lying around everywhere and I swear Aaron was the biggest slob I had ever met. But somehow, we got along; I wasn’t the neatest guy on the east side either.

I looked through our cabinets. “Hey, asshole, it’s your turn to cook.”

That brought a relaxed grin to Aaron’s face. “Fine, you pick up my laundry then.”

I shook my head and smiled. “I’m not picking up you’re dirty underwear.” I walked out of the kitchen.

“Psh…that was just once…” He walked into the kitchen.

I watched him go. At least that made him happy, if just for a short while…Things may just get worse.

Broken Crusade (boyxboy)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara