Chapter 13: Confessions

Altair’s POV

Something to tell me? Is he leaving already? I thought. After he told me he was leaving soon, I couldn’t get the thought out of my head. I can’t help but tell myself that, I really like Theron. Nothing lasted forever, I knew that already. However, I decided to keep my cool and be there for whatever was bothering him now. I looked at him. “What is it? Um...lead the way?”

He nodded silently and led me to his cabin again. He walked inside without a word. After I stepped through the threshold, he shut the door. “There’s something I’ve been meaning to tell you for a long while…” He was paler than usual. The joy in his eyes was gone, replaced with dread.

I watched him, concerned. “What is it, Theron? You can tell me anything.” I took a step closer to him.

He backed away as if I was some rabid beast. “I’m...conflicted about things. The...The night that you first came here. What Peter had said…” He looked away as if trying to will this to be an illusion.

I cocked my head to the side slightly, trying to understand what he’s getting at. “You mean when he said we were on a date?” Did I do something wrong…?

“Yes...that exactly. You see… He wasn’t kidding about my er… preferences…” His voice was shaky now, like he was afraid of what I’d say.

“Well…” I stepped closer again. “What if I’m the same way?” So all that wondering…

“You...are?” He looked to me surprised. “I...I never thought…I never thought I’d meet another who was well...like me. But...this is only part of my problem…”

“Well...keep going then…” I reached over slowly taking his hand for comfort. Well this is awkward… I shook away the thought as I watched him.

“You see… I’m not the kind of person you thought I was. I’ve received a message...and it wasn’t pleasant…” He gripped my hand tight like he was afraid of something much greater than the both of us.

“You’re a hunter?” I thought outloud with finality. The suspicions that had so kindly hid away crept into my gut again. I trust him though, however this turns out…

“I’ve gotten word to kill you.” His voice was soft now, like a child owning up to breaking a window. “If I don’t… Then I’ll be killed for siding with you…”

I watched him for a minute in silence and pulled down my hood. As I squeezed his hands again, I looked at him, determined. “Then what are you waiting for?”

“I don’t wish to kill you… I’ve...grown very fond of you. You’re the only one here who trusts me. I can’t help the assignment I’ve been given… But I’ll avoid it as long as I can. We cannot be seen together now… The headmaster’s watching…”

“Theron, I don’t want you to get yourself in trouble because of me. I’m nothing important, you know. Just some warlock.” I strained to smile, but he was hurting. I wish I could help himWithout thinking, I placed a hand to his cheek gently, like something precious.

He flinched slightly at my touch, like some memory had flashed in his mind. He hesitantly put a hand over mine, looking into my eyes. “You’re not some warlock. You’re everything to me. I won’t let this happen. Not now, not ever. We can go outside this town. You, me, Aaron, and Peter. We can survive.”

I smiled slightly at his words. Why does he fill me with so much hope…? “I’d like that, Theron. I really would.” I stroked his cheek a bit with my thumb.

A faint smile tugged at the corners of his mouth. He hesitantly leaned a bit closer. “Then let’s do it. I have enough money to get supplies for the journey.” I could see a faint glimmer of hope in his eyes, almost like he was determined to save my life and not care about his in the process.

I watched his eyes change and smiled. “I won’t go down without a fight, Theron.” I leaned close as if to kiss him when the sudden thundering boom and screams of the people outside tore us apart. I looked at him, torn. I gave him a swift peck on the lips and let go quickly. This was not happening…

Theron blushed slightly and shook his head quickly dismissing what had happened. He ran to what looked to be a storage room and came out with a large sack. He opened it revealing a large greatsword. It was polished enough to where I could see the details of the ceiling in its blade. He slung it over his shoulder quickly. “We may need this...but I really hope not.” He said solemnly. “Come on, we need to make sure everyone’s ok.” He opened the door and ran from the cabin quickly.

 I followed him quickly. As we came out to the town, I stopped in my tracks as my heart sank. The town was suddenly engulfed in flames. The screams drowned away my thoughts. The fire…I couldn’t move, my body wouldn’t allow it as I watched the people trapped in their homes scream and burn.