Chapter 10: Start of Something New

Theron’s POV

It was about an hour after dawn. I stepped out of the cabin pulling my cloak around me tight. It was still so cold here. Why couldn’t these god awful trials happen in Cuba or something? I set out some feed for the horses and made my way to the marketplace. I needed medicine for Peter’s alcohol problems. That boy needs to learn self control. Be it hunting or drinking. I stepped through the streets where the vendors would congregate. Maybe someone will be around to help, then again, no one helps strangers. I glanced around. No one outside, not even any guards. This town holds many secrets…. Perhaps I can tag along with that...Altair boy? I walked to where I had thought I had bumped into him and his friend Aaron. I looked around cautiously. Something isn’t right here…

In the distance, towards the vendors, I saw Altair speaking with the man behind the stand. He was holding something out to him. He seemed irritated by the vendor. I walked to them a bit hesitantly. “What’s the problem here?” I asked.

Altair looked over at me. “The greed here burns” He shook his head in annoyance and snatched the bottle back from the vendor. “You and these ridiculous prices can burn with the witches.” His looked over at me, his gaze intense. “Sorry about that.”   

“Prices eh? Well… what will you give me for a bottle of medicine for headaches then?” I turned to look at the vendor, arms folded. I could feel my own gaze starting to turn bitter towards him. What to do with you?

The vendor looked over at me and smiled greedily. “About 30 coin, give or take. Take it or leave it. The tariffs were raised, I need to make a living too.” From the corner of my eye, I could see Altair roll his eyes in disgust.  

As quick as lightning I grabbed the blade I held concealed under my cloak and held it to the man’s throat. “How ‘bout this? I give you life. And I take the medicine for half?” I growled. “You’ll have just enough to live for the week. Save the brothels for someone of better status.”

The vendor was taken back as he stared at me in shock. However, his gaze easily changed to a glare as he nodded once. “Fine, take your damn medicine for half, I hope it kills you all.” He went off into the back in a rush.

“Well that wasn’t so bad now was it?” The sarcasm was almost venomous. I turned to look at Altair. “I don’t think he’ll be a bother for you now.” I said as I set the coin on the counter. I sheathed my knife and waited for the man. “Greed is an awful thing. I’ve seen it corrupt even the lowliest of people.”

Altair looked over at me and smiled warily. “Sadly, that’s the truth of it isn’t it. It’s not that I couldn’t pay it, I carry a hefty sum of coin. But that money would better off be with the people who truly need it. Besides, who needs medicine for headache? You?” He flashed a charming grin at his own humor.

“No, it’s not I who needs it. My friend, Peter, is back at home with a nasty hangover.” This man is becoming quite the character… “And I don’t suppose you need medicine for voices hm?” I looked back to the glittering coin on the table. Peter is gonna kill me later I just know it.

“Sadly, Aaron is beginning to hear voices. That ass won’t take a hint and see a doctor. Though I believe it’s for the best. The slightest problem points straight to ‘Aye! He be a witch! Hang ‘im by the gullet’” He shook his head in dismay.  

“Is he? I know a few people who won’t point accusations over in another town I was staying at. If you trust me enough, I can guide you.” I smiled calmly. “We’re friends, right?”

He shook his head and smiled at me. “Yes, I suppose we can be. Everyone here is afraid of their own shadow, so...it’s nice hearing it.” He knocks on the table. “Hurry up back there!” He didn’t have very much patience it seemed.

“Hmph, here” The vendor walked over to the front and placed the bottles down for us. “Take it and leave.” He scurried back to the back.

“I think that went well, don’t you?” He picked up his bottle and pocketed it.

 “Yes, surprisingly. I was hoping I wouldn’t have to use force.” I grabbed my own bottle and set it in the pouch around me belt. I turned to him. “Perhaps we’ll meet on better circumstances next time.” I smirked slightly. “I must take my leave now. Peter’s gonna grab the last of the scotch to try and cure his hangover. Take care, Altair.” I turned to walk off back to the cabin.