Chapter 17: Free?

Altair’s POV

These women need to stop! I’m fine! I thought. As they went away, I looked over at Peter who came to my stretcher. I smiled warily at him. “You sober enough to take me to Theron?” I joked despite the pain in my chest.

Peter laughed, “I’m only drunk on certain days of the week. But yea, I’ll take you to him. He’s in a better mood now that you’re here.” He grabbed the edges of the stretcher and pushed me into the room next to Theron’s bedside. “Don’t do anything while I’m out alright?” He smiled warm heartedly and walked out.

I laughed to myself and winced forgetting the pain. I groaned and looked over at Theron. “Sorry for worrying you” I said softly.

“It’s alright, Altair. I probably worried you as well. What happened after we got separated?” He asked sadly. “I don’t remember anything…”

“Well...the town is gone...everything is gone really…” I said sadly. I looked up at the ceiling and sighed. Aaron…

He reached over and took my hand comfortingly. His muscles flexing with every movement. “It’s ok, Altair, we can both find a new home to live in. Perhaps I can take you to my old home. I can protect you there.” He smiled reassuringly and laid back down. “You should rest for now. It’s gonna be a while before both of us can leave.”

I looked over at him and squeezed his hand gently. “I think this is a better time to say that...I love you, you’re half asleep so if I’m lucky you probably won’t remember what I said in the morning.” I chuckled to myself.

He smiled playfully. There was more light to his eyes now. “Maybe I’ll forget. But I’ll tell you now that I love you too. And there’s nothing that will separate us. I’ll drag myself through Hell and back to be by your side.” He turned slowly on his side facing me like he was still sore from the blaze. “Hopefully Peter gets back here with some better food than...whatever he set out for me. I’m starved.”

I smiled softly. “If I knew a spell for better food, I’d probably have used it by now.” I watched him, memorizing everything about him. Maybe there was a such thing as hope...He probably stole it once upon a time.

“Heh...my spell is to get the lazy oaf to actually get stuff…” He chuckled and turned on his back, still holding my hand like he was afraid it was all a dream. He closed his eyes smiling, I could see he was starting to slip under again. “Wake me when Peter returns with decent food…” His grip on my hand loosened as he drifted off into a peaceful slumber.

 I watched him fall asleep and smiled. “Maybe one of these days I can give you a real kiss.” I drifted off into bliss, still holding his hand.