Chapter 4- Omertà

*************

By fear and silence we will keep this thing,
This thing of ours, secret and alive;
To all out families long may it bring
Prosperity, may all our soldiers thrive.

By fear and silence we will ever rule,
All those who challenge us will pay the price,
Our enemy, be he knave or a fool
Will bow before us, or will be as ice.

By fear and silence we will keep our realm
As secret now as ever it was then
When our great-grandfathers were at the helm,
For we, like they, are honourable men.

************

Faith POV: -

"Sit down father," said Adolfo casually while arranging the papers in his hands. Not even looking at Robert. Robert came in front and tapping his fingers on the table angrily he said: "first I want the answer to my question, what is she doing here?".

"That's what this meeting is about, about her father, now kindly co-operate with your boss and sit down so we can begin the meeting." Said Adolfo disrespectfully to Robert.

That was a shocking behavior of Adolfo towards his father, I vividly remember he used to always respect his father never putting his single word down. What happened now? I thought. A lot has changed.

"You can't speak to me like that, don't forget that I'm your father Adolfo," said Robert.

"And you don't forget that I'm the boss now of this mob, and this is not a family meeting, you're wasting my time, Robert," said Adolfo, he was busting in anger. Robert sat down facing the opposite of me. Robert was constantly looking at me, giving me dagger like looks. My eyebrows were furrowed in confusion.

I was confused, what's wrong with this man? Why has everyone changed? the person who was hating me the most is now behaving sweetly, and his father was the one who set me free in the past and supported me, is now hating me. God, you need to come down and explain this shit! My inner goddess was screaming.

"Everybody sit," said Adolfo. Cedric and Caden sat beside Robert, while Max he walked around the table and sat beside me. Adolfo's reaction was like a confused child in math class when Max sat beside me. Well for me, I felt a little bit comfortable like someone is from my side.

Adolfo cleared his throat and said, "So, the reason behind this meeting is for witnessing, Faith in signing the Omertà contract". Said Adolfo looking at everyone and stopped at me continuing "You can ask any questions based on it". The first question that came to my mind was but obvious "what is Omertà?".

I was looking at Adolfo when Cedric started speaking "Babe, Omertà is just like NDA (Non-disclosure agreement) but in our mafia world we say its code of silence, He/she who is deaf, blind and silent will live a hundred years in peace. It's like you have to maintain peace about our world, you can't tell anyone about what we do".

"But I haven't said about you being a mafia before to anyone, so why now?" I said.

"We appreciate the silence you maintained in past, but it is compulsory we should have done this a long time ago, this is the only thing common in all underworld groupings, it is the use of an oath to ensure members remain loyal to a group and does not reveal secrets," said Adolfo

"And you know about us and you have to sign it," said Caden.

Adolfo pushes the paper forward toward me. I looked at it, thinking is it really necessary. I look around and everyone's face and stop at Adolfo and said: "what happens after signing the contract?".