Chapter Twelve

"What do you mean?" Sharon stared wide eyed at him.

Rubbing his neck, he began to pace the room. "We cannot sleep in separate bedrooms, you must let me at least hold your hands, and perhaps even..." Pausing, he turned to her, his gaze shifting to her lips. Matthew knew quite well that his request would not sit well with her but he didn't believe either of them had a choice. Sighing softly, he said, "Perhaps even kiss you."

Color immediately sprung to her cheek, turning her entire face red. Tearing her eyes off of him, her gaze fell to the floor.

"Only for a few days; until my father gives what is rightfully mine to me." He said, his eyes fixed on her.

She stood still for several seconds with her gaze still on the floor as if in contemplation of his request.

Straightening, she lifted her gaze to him, a slight frown on her face as the dust of color began to fade. "Very well, but you are to sleep on the floors. You may hold my hand, but only briefly and you cannot kiss me on the lips, perhaps on the cheek and only if it is absolutely necessary."

He nodded, grateful she was even willing to concede to his request. It wasn't the marriage he expected, but it was enough. "Thank you," He said. Her frown faded in that second, her eyes lighting up with something he couldn't quite read.

Nodding, she shrugged. "It is the least I can do."

Turning from her, he made his way out of the kitchen, dreading the arrival of his family.

~*~

Sharon waited until Matthew was out of the kitchen before releasing the breath she knew very well she had been holding since his entrance. It was the first full conversation they had had in a long time and hearing him ask her to pretend to be in love with him was not what she had been expecting to hear.

Straightening, she hurriedly made her way to the front porch to gather the dishes. Pushing the front door open, she found that the men were still eating and made to go back inside when her eyes caught sight of Matthew. He stood only short distance from the building with his hands buried in his pocket and his gaze fixed on the road ahead.

Sharon traced his line of vision, a slight feeling of unease forcing a frown to her face as she caught sight of an approaching carriage.

She turned back to Matthew, and suddenly felt sorry for him. He stood, a lone figure under the blazing sun; a figure seemingly craving support. She didn’t think she was the right person to give him any support, but she didn’t think she could ignore the overwhelmingly new and certainly strange desire to do so either.

Untying the apron from around her waist, she placed it on the porch, smoothed her skirt and shoved the stray strand of her hair that whipped her face behind her ear, before gently making her way to where he stood.

Even as she approached, she imagined what his reaction to her presence would be; perhaps it would displease him? Perhaps it was his wish to welcome his family alone? Perhaps she was wrong to come out here?

Just when she decided it was best to return to the house, he turned around and their eyes locked. Tired hazel eyes came to settle on her his brows, pulled together by weariness.

Pausing briefly in her tracks, she was surprised when he held out a hand to her.

Nodding, she covered the distance between them and placed a hand in his. They didn't speak, but his sweaty palm told her he was nervous as the carriage came to a halt before them and the coachman pulled the doors open.

~*~

Green.

It was the first thing Sharon saw when the door to the carriage was opened. The green emerged out of a carriage, revealing an older woman who was most likely in her late fifties. Her green hat kept her hair hidden but still managed to blend perfectly with her eyes and matching dress. When she smiled, Sharon immediately saw the resemblance with Matthew.

"Mama," Matthew confirmed her suspicions when he released his hold on Sharon's hand and stepped forward to give the woman a hug.

"Oh dear boy," She patted his cheek with gloved hands. "Look at you, skin and bones! What have you been eating?"

"Or not eating," A voice called from behind Matthew's mother.

"Grace," Matthew turned from his mother, blocking Sharon's view of the mysterious Grace.

"Oh Matthew!" Sharon watched Grace engulf him in a hug, her white hat hiding her face. When she pulled away, Sharon merely caught sight of her white lace gloves as her hands gripped Matthew's shoulders. "Look at you, handsome as always. Perhaps a little lean, but nothing Mama's hot meals can't fix, now is it?"

"And you Grace, are a woman now,"

She giggled. "Why, you're quite right."

Matthew turned from Grace, giving Sharon a better view. Grace, a tall, slender young woman, seemed about a year younger than Sharon. She barely saw her face because the hat was indeed a barrier, but she imagined she was pretty. Her pink dress was the latest fashion had to offer and the diamond earrings that winked from both her ears was a clear indication of her wealth.

"Where is Papa?" Matthew asked.

"Away on business," A voice called behind them, and Sharon was shocked to find that there had been someone in the carriage all that time. She glanced behind Matthew, catching a glimpse of a strange woman.

"Gretchen?" It was a mere whisper. Sharon turned just in time to see Matthew's face turn pale.

"Hello, Matt,"

Stiffly, he turned around. "Gretchen," He seemed to try again, but the word came out sounding more strained than the first time he had said it. "What are you doing here?"

"Displeased to see me?" Gretchen let out a soft giggle.

"Surprised," he said.

"But not displeased? And will you just stand there, or will I get a hug as well?"

Matthew stepped forward, pulling Gretchen into his embrace. It was then that Sharon saw her. Unlike the other two women, Gretchen didn't have a hat shielding her face. Her fiery red hair was pulled into a fancy braid behind her head, curly strands framing her beautiful, freckled face as her slender fingers moved back and forth Matthew's shoulder in a way that left Sharon feeling uncomfortable.

As if sensing her presence, Gretchen lifted her gaze, brown eyes immediately coming to rest on Sharon. A thin smile curved her lips, her perfectly carved brows rising slightly in question for a second —only for a brief second. Then, as if unbothered by Sharon's presence, she settled once again in Matthew's arms, her lips brushing against the side of his neck. Sharon felt a slight frown claim her face.

"And who is she?" A voice called, most likely causing Matthew to remember her presence because he immediately pulled away, ending their embrace as he turned around to look at her, his face blazing red.

"Um," He licked his bottom lip nervously, causing the frown on her face to deepen.

"A maid? What happened to Nana Lois?" Grace asked. "And isn't that Nana's dress?"

Suddenly feeling conscious of her appearance, Sharon glanced down. Indeed, she looked like nothing short of a slave. She hadn't bothered to comb her hair that morning and had spent the better part of the day making lunch for a handful of farmhands.

"This is Sharon," Sharon hadn't noticed when Matthew left Gretchen's side, until he was placing a hand on her shoulders and pulling her slightly against his side. "My wife." She turned to him then, surprised to find him staring down at her.

"What?!" Grace half yelled. "I had hoped dearly that Papa had been wrong,"

"Grace," Matthew called out in what sounded like a warning, but Grace didn't seem bothered by it.

"Why would you make such a horrid mistake?!"

"Now, now, Grace, surely Matthew knew what he was getting himself into when he decided to get married. Didn't you, Matthew?" Sharon turned to find Gretchen staring at them, a forced smile on her face.

Gretchen turned briefly to Sharon and raised a brow in what seemed like a challenge, and in that second, Sharon decided that she didn't like Gretchen, or Grace. She was uncertain of her feelings for Matthew's mother, but she didn't think she would like her either. It certainly explained Matthew's dread after finding out his family was visiting.

Leaning further against Matthew's side, Sharon watched in satisfaction as Gretchen's eyes clouded with jealousy. It was in that second she realized Gretchen was in no way related to Matthew. Perhaps she was in love with Matthew? Sharon didn't care anything for Matthew, but she didn't think Gretchen was good enough for him either. As a matter of fact —she thought, forcing a smile to her lips— she would let Matthew know what she thought of Gretchen if he ever asked.

"Sharon Freelance Steiner," She ran her gaze over the faces of all three women, pausing when she got to Gretchen. "It's a pleasure to meet you all," tilting her head to the side, she raised a brow, "especially you, Gretchen."

Copyright © 2016-2020 Lily Orevba All rights reserved