UNTIL YOU (CHAPTER THREE)

Gretchen glanced out of the window as the carriage began to slow down. Her eyes traveled the length of the building that stood in the middle of a large piece of land, and while she hadn't seen anything like it in San Francisco, she knew it was a castle. Built with massive stones, the building was possessing of what appeared to be three floors. Large windows lined the walls and it had a large, cobbled front porch that led to massive wooden doors with large door handles that was probably made for giants. She had read and seen pictures of these buildings and was aware that the people who lived in them were people of high social standing.

The door was pulled open and she was helped out of the carriage. Once her mission to the estate was explained by Harry, Sue's escort, Gretchen was ushered in and led to what appeared to be a waiting room. Or was it a parlor? She wasn't familiar with English homes, most definitely not a castle that appeared to possess enough rooms to house a village. She hadn't seen this many household staff in her entire life. Although her family once possessed a fortune, they could only afford to hire about ten people at a time. Gretchen was on number fifteen when she lost count of the number of servants in this building.

The room had a single white sofa that faced a fire place. From its size, it was built to be occupied by just one person at a time. In her opinion, it was a waiting room. Although, the shelf that lined the wall, carrying a number of books, could indicate this was most likely a library of some sorts.

Settling on the sofa, she leaned back and pulled her eyelids shut so that her vision was shrouded by darkness, and her lips were parting to release an anxious sigh. The truth was, she didn't know how to serve, having been served by others her entire life. And how was she going to be a good nanny to a child when she had never had to care for anything or anyone in her entire life?

She felt her anxiety continue to rise as she sat all alone in the room for what felt like hours. She was most likely going to be  turned down. And then what? What was she going to do if she didn't get this job?! She glanced at her trembling hands and clasped them together in a failed attempt to stop them from trembling so much.

“Hello.”

Startled, she jerked upright and turned to the entrance.

Standing there, dressed in white rider's pants, black knee high boots, and a black tail coat worn over a white shirt, was a man, a man who was handsome enough to cause her breath to cease for a while.

He quirked his brow, his eyes fixed on her. Gretchen didn't know why, but it felt like she couldn't breathe and she knew her face was blazing red.

“You must be the woman interested in being Elizabeth's nanny?”

She nodded, swallowing once in a failed attempt to push down the lump that had formed in her lungs. There was something about him, something powerful and demanding of respect. It also didn't help matters that his choice of clothing and his lovely, black, curly locks made him mighty handsome.

He folded his arms across his chest, his brows coming together to form a frown.

Snap out of it, Gretchen! Don't mess things up!

Rising to her feet, “I'm Gretchen Riverside.” She smoothened her skirt and held her hand out for a handshake. He took it and planted a light kiss on her gloved knuckles.

“And you're American?” He straightened.

Ignoring the tingling sensation his kiss left on her knuckles, “yes.”

“Do you mind my asking what an American is doing so far away from home, looking to take on the job of a nanny?” He quirked a brow.

“I need a job. Also, there isn't much of a home left in San Francisco.”

“This would mean I wouldn't have to worry you'd run off anytime soon? You must understand my concern, Miss Riverside. I need a nanny who's committed to staying long enough to actually care for Elizabeth.”

“I can assure you, Mr...”

“Lord Ethan Williams.”

“Williams,” She was uncertain of the purpose for the ‘lord’ part, but she did not believe herself capable of using such ridiculous terms in reference to a man, terms that were most likely used to feed his ego. “I’m willing to stay as long as you'd have me.”

“Do I have your word, Miss Riverside?”

“You do.”

**

Gretchen groaned for the umpteenth time that evening, dumping the wailing child on the carpet beside her and lying flat on her back, exhausted. First, she had no idea she'd have to care for an infant. A child maybe! A toddler would have come as a surprise as well but an infant?! That was a shock that left her reeling in confusion. Gretchen would have run off two hours ago, and while she had nowhere to run to, the streets sounded more appealing than the constant, relentless cries of a baby. But she had given Ethan her word and pleasant or not, she was determined to stay true to her promise. She'd just have to find a way to silence the wailing baby. Perhaps she could drug her? She groaned, turning to face the child who laid beside her, crying.

“Is there something you need, anything?” She was beyond frustrated. “While I am incapable of changing a diaper, I had the last maid that was in here change it for you. I did try to feed you but I only succeeded in messing up both our dresses. I tried rocking you but that's not even good enough for you!” She half yelled, frightening the child who responded by increasing the intensity of her cries. “Are you trying to get me fired? Because honestly, I'm this close to smothering you.” She sighed and pushed herself to a sitting position. Picking the child off of the floor, she hugged her against her chest. “I didn't mean any of that...” She released another breath. “Perhaps I did. Will you go to sleep if I begged?” It didn't seem like Elizabeth was going to relent anytime soon.

Lying flat on her back, Gretchen placed Elizabeth on her chest and wrapped her arms around her. “How about a lullaby, hm? I don't know why I only just thought of it. You know, I never went to sleep until my mother sang me a lullaby. When mother was out of town or incapable of singing to me, I'd throw a tantrum.” She giggled to herself, smiling at the memory. “I know I'm not your mother, Elizabeth but, you'll just have to make due with me.”

To her surprise, Elizabeth's cries were beginning to subside.

“Do you like stories?” She asked, pulling her eyelids shut. “My nanny used to tell me stories as a little girl. I had many nannies but this one, Nanny Ruby, was the best story teller you'll ever meet.” Gretchen ran her palm up and down Elizabeth's back as the child's cries were reduced to silent sobs.

Noticing that her words were somehow bringing comfort to the child, she continued to have a one sided conversation with her.

“Also I find Elizabeth too taxing to pronounce. How about Lizzy?” She shook her head to herself, not liking the sound of it. “Beth? No, I think Beth sounds like an old lady and you're a baby. How about... Ellie? I like Ellie, and while you're incapable of speaking, I do hope you like it as well.”

It was then, as Gretchen decided on a new name for the baby in her arms, that she realized that Elizabeth had finally fallen asleep.

*

I'll stop here with the preview of this story. You can find a longer preview (up until chapter twenty five) on my profile here on wattpad. If you want to read the entire thing, you'll need to buy it for only $0.99 following a link on my profile.

Thanks once again for reading❤️❤️