Chapter Forty Five

He wasn't moving fast enough —Matthew growled, burying his heel in the horse's flank. But it didn't matter how hard he pushed, the horse just didn't seem to go fast enough.

The horse wasn't the only thing that stubbornly appeared to maintain a slow pace, his heart seemed to follow suit —his heart, his breathing, and even the darn time seemed to be moving at a snail's pace as images of Sharon filled his mind. She was all he could think of, her still form lying unconscious somewhere by that lake, fighting for her life. He was desperate to get to her, and to help her fight like he had done on the day Jenkins had practically dragged her to his farm unconscious.

Even now, as he hurried to get to her, he could still see her still, battered form on his bed with blood stains all over her. But it hadn't mattered to him; he had still found himself thinking she was beautiful. He had found the thought of marrying her to be a pleasing one, and while her rejection of his proposal had been a mighty blow to him, they had eventually worked things out, and had managed to fall in love in spite of all the odds that had been against them.

And there had been many odds against them —from both their egos, to his poor financial state, to his father's interference in their lives. They had battled all of those things and had finally gotten the break they deserved and for a few months, Matthew thought they could finally be happy.

Until now —until he was suddenly facing another obstacle; one he didn't even know how to fight; death.

Death was not something Matthew thought he knew how to fight. He didn't think he could live without Sharon, neither did he even want to consider the possibility of raising their daughter alone.

Tears filled his eyes, blurring his vision. Shaking his head, he focused on trying to get to the lake; he couldn't give up now, not when there was still the possibility of saving Sharon.

It seemed like an eternity before he was bringing the horse to a halt by a blurry image of the lake, his limbs trembling as he dismounted the horse and settled on his wobbly legs. He forced one foot after the other forward, realizing then that he had failed to get her exact location from Stanley.

“Matthew,”

He stiffened. Sharon's voice filled his frantic mind, momentarily distracting him from the mission before him.

“Matthew,”

Turning around sharply, a small frown immediately settled on his face as his eyes came to rest on her.

“Sharon?” He breathed, unsure of what it was he was looking at.

It was unreal, he told himself, shaking his head as his gaze ran down the length of the woman who stood before him, an image of perfection.

Stanley said she fell down a horse, didn't he? Surely Matthew was imagining things! Surely his mind was so desperate to find her, it was conjuring false images before his eyes, for the woman before him did not appear to have fallen down a horse. Indeed she was perfect —too perfect. Her lovely white dress that eased perfectly down every curve in her body, bore no signs of mud stains that should have been obtained from a fall. Her golden locks were pulled to the back of her head in a perfect braid, a beautiful red rose flower tucked behind her hair. Not a single strand of hair was left out of place, and Matthew was quite certain he had never seen her look more beautiful.

He told himself that it wasn't real, but he found it impossible to turn away from her. He hated the way his heart raced for her ...it —he couldn't tell. He didn't even know what it was that he was looking at!

“Matthew,” A breathtaking smile seized her face as she reached up and touched his cheek.

She touched him! And it felt real. Perhaps it was indeed real?!

“You are the most incredible, amazing, outstanding, unbelievably kind man I have ever met and I'm the luckiest woman that ever existed.” She touched him again, her fingers lacing themselves with his hand as he scanned her face. “You are every part of me. You are my soul mate, my peace, my joy, and my heartbeat,” Slowly, her hand urged his upward until it was settling on her chest. “Feel that? It's beating for you and because of you.”

His own heart was beginning to pound at a rather alarming rate as he watched her.

“My life with you is something that I would not trade for the entire universe. So, I'm asking you, Matthew Christopher Steiner,” stepping back, he watched as she settled on her knees before him. “If you'll have me yet again, and do me the honors of marrying me?”

Matthew stood motionless for several seconds, his mind fighting desperately to fully comprehend what it was that was happening. He stared at Sharon who was safe and sound before him, not unconscious in the sand. She was alive, she was here, and she loved him. He always knew she loved him, but for some reason he felt even more certain about her love in that moment. It was probably because she was here —it was probably because she was on her knees—

Just then, as the thoughts raced through his mind, it occurred to him what was happening; she was proposing!

The thought had barely settled in his mind when movement afar off caught his attention.

He raised his gaze then, his frown deepening as his eyes came to rest on the small crowd of distinguishable faces, one of which was Stanley's. The conniving farmhand stood grinning from ear to ear, visibly proud of pulling off a cruel prank. Then there was Nana Lois struggling to maintain her hold on the overactive Rosie who sat in her arms. And there was his mother... and Grace... and every farmhand on the farm, all dressed up.

They planned a wedding?! Realization struck him then, his gaze shifting back to Sharon's. True enough, he recognized the dress she was wearing; his mother's wedding dress!

Relief flooded every muscles in his body, love for the woman before him forcing him to his knees as well.

“You know darling, there's one problem with all of this.” He whispered, breathless. All he wanted to do was pull her into his arms and kiss her senseless.

“What?” She frowned slightly.

“The groom's the only one who looks absolutely horrid in his work clothes.” He grinned.

Leaning forward, his heart skipped a beat as she cupped his face in her hands. “I love you Matthew, I really do.”

“I love you too Sharon,” he said, wrapping his arms around her waist and pulling her forward. “I really, really do.” He finished, capturing her lips and closing his eyes as the world faded all around him until all that mattered was the woman in his arms.

Copyright © 2016-2020 Lily Orevba All rights reserved.