Chapter Twenty Nine

A frown settled on Nana Lois's brows as she rose her gaze from her embroidering, to the object of her inquiry —an inquiry that had gone unanswered for longer than was deemed appropriate.

Seated on a matching gray sofa across from her, Sharon's hands worked in a mechanical movement, dragging the needle back and forth the white fabric. Her attention was seemingly possessed by the work before her, but as a loud hiss escaped her lips with the fabric falling from her grip, Nana Lois immediately knew that Sharon had been distracted —again.

She had only began to notice the changes in Sharon's mood a month ago when Matthew's family returned to San Francisco. And for a while, she was worried, not only because she assumed the poor girl's mood would improve once the Steiners' hostile presence on the farm had been extinguished, but also because whatever it was that was distracting Sharon had led to a few domestic accidents —one of which had nearly caused her a finger on the chopping board.

But as the weeks progressed and with them, Sharon's distracted demeanor, Nana Lois's attention was quickly drawn to something else.

Even now, it wasn't Sharon's demeanor she was looking at, it was Sharon herself. It was the slight —barely visible— changes that had taken place in only a matter of weeks. It was the way her once tan skin suddenly appeared quite pale. It was the several freckles that peeked through the hem of her neckline. It was the dark sacks underneath her eyes that told of her lack of sleep.

Turning her attention to the blood that now stained Sharon's finger from where the needle had pricked her, Nana said, “Are you okay, dear?”

“Yes, I'm fine,” A shadow of a smile appeared on her face. “It's nothing.”

For a slight second, Nana Lois considered ending the conversation there, but she was truly concerned. If her suspicions were right, then perhaps it was best if they didn't expose Sharon to any more dangers that could see her burning the farm down, and perhaps even herself.

Leaning forward, Nana kept her gaze on Sharon as she asked, “do you suppose you could be pregnant?” It was too soon to know for sure, but she assumed Sharon must be experiencing some changes that could confirm Nana's suspicions.

Silence followed her question, and she didn't think it was even possible, but Sharon's face seemed to get whiter, her hands immediately settling protectively on her stomach.

Interpreting Sharon's silence to be a confirmation of her suspicion, Nana smiled broadly. “Oh, dear child!” She squealed, clasping her hands before her as she bounced cheerfully on the sofa. “Matthew will be delighted! Unless of course he knows! And here,” reaching forward hurriedly, she retrieved the discarded dress from where it had fallen to Sharon's lap. “You can't be stressing over things like these. Let me do all the work, I don't want you getting into any more accidents. Oh, and we must see about getting Dr. Harrison to come around the farm and take a good look at you, see if there's—”

“No!”

The words died on Nana Lois's lips as her gaze immediately shifted to Sharon who was now on her feet.

Confused by her outburst, Nana raised a brow. “No?”

Sharon ran her tongue over her bottom lip as she rubbed her arm nervously. “No. I— um...”

Her frown returned. “What do you mean no? I'm quite certain I haven't said an objectionable thing these past few seconds, now have I?” She asked, daring Sharon to disagree with her suggestions; all of which were for her own good. Nana Lois didn't exactly appreciate being argued with.