Chapter Twenty-Two

“The farm hands are threatening to quit, Matthew. If they don't get paid by the end of the month, they'll leave.”

Matthew frowned at the information Stanley, his farmhand, had given him that afternoon. It was all he could think about, even if for the life of him, there was nothing he could do about it! Not only had his father forced him into marriage, he was practically avoiding coming to the farm to hand him his inheritance. How on earth was Matthew going to pay off his debt if his darn father was avoiding him?!

His fingers curled into fists around the reins as he rode home that afternoon, frustrated. Perhaps he simply needed a break from the sun as well as some food?

Perhaps he needed to see Sharon?

Matthew didn't dare admit to it out loud, but he was very aware of his blossoming feelings for the blonde head. He didn't know what it was, but he could barely get her out of his head long enough to work on the farm, neither could he get his eyes off of her when they were in the same room. He didn't suppose his feelings were returned, but the night of their kiss, everything changed.

Just as the thought of Sharon drifted through his mind, his eyes immediately settled on her, a vision of blue as she stood on the porch. Even from afar, she took his breath away. Her golden locks danced to the rhythm of the wind, reminding him of the evening they entangled themselves around his fingers, setting his flesh on fire.

Even now, his flesh was set on fire by the sight of her.

He urged his horse forward until he was pulling it to a halt before the house and jumping down the side. A smile claimed his lips, ridding his mind of Stanley's unpleasant news that afternoon.

“Hello, Blondie,” he made his way around the horse.

“Matthew,” she said, appearing a little flustered. “I—um,”

He frowned, climbing the front porch. “Something wrong?”

“Oh no,” she breathed.

“Are you sure? Why are you standing out here alone?”

“Your family hasn’t returned from their trip to town.”

It did not explain her reason for standing on the porch, but Matthew didn't see the need in pointing that fact out. Instead, he nodded.

“If they're not back in an hour, I might have to send a farmhand to see about them.”

“Yes, of course.” She glanced down.

He watched her, her beautiful blue dress doing wonders for her form. He thought he recognized the fabric as being one of the ones he had picked out for her. It appeared to him that she was quite skilled in making dresses.

“And Nana?” He cleared his throat, tearing his gaze off of her body and to her face.

“She's the reason I'm here, Matthew.”

“Is she?”

Sighing, she nodded. “She kicked me out of the house.”

Confused, Matthew waited for her to offer more information, but when she didn't, he said, “What do you mean, kicked you out?”

“I mean the doors are locked, Matthew.”

“What?!”  It sounded like something his housekeeper would do, but Matthew didn't exactly see her point. Was she trying to punish Sharon for a wrong? Even if she was, it seemed absurd to him. Perhaps he needed to speak with Nana Lois?! He groaned, dreading the thought of scolding her.

Sharon shifted nervously from one foot to the other. “She insists we have a picnic by the lake."  She Shifted to the side and Matthew's eyes settled on a picnic basket that sat by her right leg. “And she has also informed me that the doors will be unlocked as soon as we're finished.”

He gawked, incredulous.

“I'm so sorry, Matthew! I tried to convince her that this was a terrible idea, but she's quite insistent on having her way.”

Of course Nana was insistent! Still, it wasn't her insistence or her action that shocked Matthew; it was the reason for it. And considering the fact that Matthew knew Nana Lois quite well, he had no doubt about what her reasons were!

He threw his head back and laughed —it would seem that his housekeeper had taken it upon herself to play matchmaker to the already married couple. While it was a highly embarrassing fact, it was hilarious as well.

“Do you suppose you could convince her to let us in?” Sharon frowned once his laughter had died down.

“I'm afraid not, Blondie. Nana literally runs my life and from the looks of things, she's taken interest in running yours as well.” He said, laughing at the stricken look on her face.

“Perhaps this was a terrible idea?”

“What?” He raised a brow.

“What?”

“What do you find terrible about Nana's idea; going on a picnic, or doing it with me?”  He asked, suddenly curious about her answer.

“I— well, I do not want you to feel compelled, is all.”

“I know this was Nana's idea, but I think it's a great idea. I would love to go on a picnic... with you.” He cleared his throat, glancing back. He didn't want her to see the desire he knew very well was in his eyes. “The lake is quite a mile away, so we'll need to use my horse.” He swallowed, the very thought of sharing a horse with her —their bodies mere inches from each other— filling his mind with unwholesome thoughts.

After waiting a few seconds for her response, he turned back to her.

“Unless you'd like to take a walk? I only have three horses, two of which were hitched to the wagon that took my family to town.”  He said, rushing to explain lest she saw his excitement at having to ride with her.

“I...”

“I could also beg Nana to reconsider. It might take a while, of course.”

A small smile settled on her lips, lighting her eyes up and knocking the air out of Matthew's lungs. “It is fine, I would love to ride and of course eat with you, Matthew Steiner.”

Perhaps it was the way she said his name that forced Matthew to lean forward until their lips were only inches apart. Fighting the urge to kiss her as her warm breath grazed his skin, he whispered, “Are you sure about that, Blondie Steiner?”

She flashed him that smile again; the one that knocked the air out of his lungs and made it impossible to desire anything but to pull her into his arms.

“Quite.”

“Good,” he murmured, succeeding in his fight against the desire to kiss her, yet, unwilling to fight the desire to pull her into his arms.

Grinning, he leaned down and scooped her into his arms, turning to carry her down the stairs.

Her loud giggles filled his ears, accelerating his heartbeat as he carried his bride to his horse.

Copyright © 2016-2020 Lily Orevba All rights reserved.

I wanted to take out the time to thank each and everyone of you (sincerely, from the depths of my heart) for your incredible support for this story. I'm so happy you like it.

Love,

Lily.