UNTIL YOU (CHAPTER ONE)

One month later

Angry cries of a dissatisfied child echoed throughout the entire building, evoking frustrated murmurs from the lips of the household staff and tears from the eyes of the poor maid who was saddled with the responsibility of caring for a baby who was impossible to please.

Adeline released a frustrated groan and dumped the child on her belly in the crib. This child was simply the devil's spawn! Adeline was certain that if you looked closely, you could see tiny horns sticking out of the forehead of this little demo... She bit down on her lower lip to stop her thoughts from driving her crazy.

Two wet nurses and three maids in two weeks, all of whom quit after only a few days spent with the child.

Abandoned by her mother and mostly avoided by her father, Adeline was left to care for a child who simply refuses to be consoled. It didn't matter that Adeline had fed her, changed her, rocked her and even pleaded with her, this baby was on a mission to drive Adeline crazy. And unfortunately, Adeline had had enough. Damning the consequences, she marched down the stairs and through the hall, easily finding Ethan's study. Too upset to consider courtesy, she pushed the door wide open and walked in. Ethan's eyes snapped up at the intrusion. Seeing her, a frown settled on his face.

"Is something wrong with Elizabeth?" He asked, referring to the baby. Seeing as her mother hadn't bothered to give her a name or had simply neglected to include a name in the note, Ethan settled on Elizabeth, a name Adeline secretly didn't even like. Or was it the baby? Perhaps both.

Adeline wanted to yell in frustration but thought better of it. "She is being Elizabeth, and I simply cannot continue with it, my lord. I'm going raving mad with a child who refuses to be pacified. She fusses too much, she cries all the time, eats too little, and she never sleeps! Who knew that such a small creature could produce so much noise?!"

She squeaked, tears filling her eyes. "I must admit to having enough..."

"...no..." It almost seemed like Ethan was pleading but Adeline wouldn't continue with Elizabeth if Ethan groveled before her.

"...of this child. I quit, Lord Williams." She finished, bowing briefly before scurrying out of the study, leaving a very confused father behind.

**

Leaning forward slightly, Ethan stared into the silver eyes of the wailing child who laid helplessly in her crib, and he couldn't help but feel the weight of the world upon his shoulder. He didn't know how much of it he could take any longer but he was this close to leaving her on the stairs of an orphanage. A part of him almost excused her mother for getting rid of her because the thought was beginning to occupy a large part of his heart.

There was simply no explanation for Elizabeth's cries, yet, Ethan was desperate to find one or at least find her mother.

Elizabeth stayed up crying all night and by the next morning, Ethan was riding into town, determined not to return without help.