Chapter 9 - The Mysterious, Black Stray

We were in Hogsmeade to do some Christmas Shopping and I think I had everyone. I got Marlene, Lily and Alice's gift without them noticing. I got Zoe a gift and I'm debating whether or not to get my parents and the Marauders something. I shivered from the cold as it started snowing. I adjudged my black beanie and gloves then sighed.

"Hey Alice!" Frank Longbottom said as we passed him.

"Hi Frank!" Alice replied enthusiastically.

"Go out with me..." I whispered teasingly.

"What?"

"What?"

"So do you guys have everything?" Lily asked.

"Yeah I'm sure." I said.

"Hey look!" Marlene pointed to a black figure. It was a dog, a large black dog, walking towards us. It looked pretty friendly, though suspicious.

"Is it a stray?" Lily asked, we walked towards it. The dog barked happily as we stopped in front of it. Alice knelt down beside it. The dog barked again and immediately started licking her face.

"Come on! It's friendly!" Alice giggled and started patting the mysterious, black stray. It barked again and continued licking her face.

"I don't know exactly..." I said slowly and kneeled down. The dog jumped into my lap and started licking my face. I screamed in surprise. "Um... okay." I patted it softly and it stopped licking me.

Marlene sat down next to me and the dog barked excitedly. It jumped on her and started licking her too. She giggled.

"Aww it's so cute!" Marlene said and started stroking his fur. The dog looked like it was smiling happily and continued to lick Marlene. "Can we name it?"

"Sure." Lily shrugged, still standing up.

"Okay! Um..." Marlene looked at the dog. "Snuffles." The dog tilted his head as if it was frowning then shrugged. The dog smiled again and continued licking her face. "This dog is so cute! Come on Lily! Come pat it!" Lily shook her head.

"No, I'm good."

"Okay!" Marlene continued playing with the dog, who seemed like he was enjoying himself.

"Oh fine." Lily knelt down and started patting the dog. The dog licked her happily and jumped on her lap. "You're right it is cute!"

"It's quite friendly. For a stray." Alice stated.

"Yeah it is." Lily smiled at the dog. Then, James Potter walked up to us. He glared at the dog angrily. James grabbed the dog's collar and dragged it away. The dog barked at him. Lily gasped. "Potter!"

"Oi Potter!" I yelled and stormed over to him. He turned around and looked at me, keeping a stern hand on the dog.

"Yes Fall?" The dog continued barking.

"What are you doing with that dog?! If you didn't notice-"

"This dog is dangerous! And harmful and idiotic!" The dog frowned.

"And how do you know?! It's harmless!!"

"That's what it wants you to think. Besides, it has rabies." The dog scratched James's leg and growled. James held the dog up high. I blinked and crossed my arms.

"And how do you know?"

"I just do! Now we wouldn't want the girls getting sick-"

"Thanks..."

"I was talking about Lily, Marlene and Alice." I crossed my arms.

"Thanks for the love." I said sarcastically. He grinned at me.